• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Smoking Ban

cabrales

Although I don't live in New York, this is just another reason to quit.  I have been a smoker for 30 years.  Before reading this thread today I made an appointment for laser therapy for quitting.  That appointment is for January 14.  

This aint gonna be easy.  I've thought about it off and on, and I've tried several times.  However, when I got a call from my son's best friend's mom, telling me that she was really sorry, but her son couldn't come to our house any more because he's allergic to the smoke, I realized it was time to do something about it.  Yes, I could go outside to smoke, but that would just move the problem, not solve it.

Wish me luck.   Maybe Fat Guy will let me post a daily diary!

Marlene,

Best of luck in your worthwhile endeavor!!

I am a reformed smoker (smoked for 15, have not for the past 16) and know firsthand just how difficult the ultimate decision and process is.

What is the laser therapy process for quitting that you are scheduled for? I'm not familiar with it and would like some more info.

Thanks, and again GOOD LUCK!! :biggrin:

Okay, we've got two threads about the smoking ban now, because Jayask started a new one today.  Could we merge them into the original thread and get rid of this new one?

I started a new one with a new article and information. I think it should be seperate..so people know it ia new info...but if the powers that be decide to merge it...I guess i can deal. :)

-Jason

I'm going to merge, if only to teach myself how to do it!

(We are now merged.)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Marlene,

I am a reformed smoker (smoked for 15, have not for the past 16) and know firsthand just how difficult the ultimate decision and process is. 

What is the laser therapy process for quitting that you are scheduled for? I'm not familiar with it and would like some more info. 

IT is the same premise as acupuncture except they use a laser pointer on the pressure points instead. The success rate of the clinic in toronto is 94%, whereas acupunture's success rate is around 55%. I have no idea why! At the same time, I'll have laser therapy to control weight gain. I worked way to hard to take all that weight off. I'm not going there again.

The laser therapy is supposed to be one visit with a free follow up if you need it. (On january 14th, I'll be a non-smoker. On January 14th, I'll be a non-smoker. On January 14th................my new mantra) :rolleyes:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Best, BEST of luck, Marlene. Let me know if and when you'd like supportive PMs.  :smile:

Always! That's why when the time comes, I figured I'd post a daily diary. Kind of like a group hug! :biggrin:

Marlene

Thanks, FG!

Jayask - usually when a thread comes back to the top, people know that there's something new in the thread, right?

Right. But something new in the thread just means someone has commented. I don't read every comment. This was new information....a new article.

It really doesn't matter. *shrug*

-Jason

Marlene,

IT is the same premise as acupuncture except they use a laser pointer on the pressure points instead. The success rate of the clinic in toronto is 94%, whereas acupunture's success rate is around 55%. I have no idea why! At the same time, I'll have laser therapy to control weight gain. I worked way to hard to take all that weight off. I'm not going there again.

The laser therapy is supposed to be one visit with a free follow up if you need it. (On january 14th, I'll be a non-smoker. On January 14th, I'll be a non-smoker. On January 14th................my new mantra) :rolleyes:

WOW - that sounds impressive. I don't think, or at least I've never heard of, something quite like that in the USA.

Do you think they have a laser therapy procedure for too much egulleting? :raz::wacko:

Again, best of luck to you!!

Marlene,

WOW - that sounds impressive. I don't think, or at least I've never heard of, something quite like that in the USA.

Do you think they have a laser therapy procedure for too much egulleting? :raz::wacko:

Again, best of luck to you!!

I don't know if it's in the States. I think I read somewhere that it wasn't approved by the FDA. And a number of Americans were going to Windsor for the treatment.

It is approved by Health Canada.

I don't think there's any cure for egullet addiction though! :wink:

Marlene

Marlene, best of luck. I thought the laser therapy was going to be some kind of floating anti-gravity ball with sensors and laser guns that would follow you around for the leased period. This sounds a little less involved and dangerous. Best of luck.

"What does not kill you is ouchies. But, hey. At least it didn't kill you." -Furd Neitzsche (the less well-known brother)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

NYC Moves on Tough Anti-Smoking Law

Thu Dec 12, 5:11 AM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Leaders in the nation's largest city have agreed to a plan to snuff out cigarette smoking in almost every New York bar and restaurant, a move that could create one of the toughest anti-smoking laws in the nation.

[Remainder of story available from various online news sources]

.....I don't smoke and I don't live in NYC,but some people I know smoke and I'm curious about what you guys think. :unsure:

I think that it is great! California has had no smoking in bars or restaurants (as well as public place for many years). Hawaii just made restaurants smoke free. Nothing can ruin a meal more then stinky ciggerette smoke. I just wish that Europeans would catch on to the same trend.

I just wish that Europeans would catch on to the same trend.

Why, Karen ? Is it an evangelical issue for you, or do you spend a lot of time in Europe ?

I have to say that this morning was the first time, after a whole evening spent in a pub/restaurant environment, that I have ever put on my coat in the morning free of the stink of cigarette smoke. I really appreciated it.

v

Hmmmmmm....I think that Austin, Texas has made a decent compromise. If an establishment derives more than 50% of its income from alcohol, it may allow smoking (though many don't). That eliminates most of the restaurants there, but not all. Smokers have some place to go and non-smokers know which places to avoid. Seems reasonable to me.

Lobster.

Hmmmmmm....I think that Austin, Texas has made a decent compromise.  If an establishment derives more than 50% of its income from alcohol, it may allow smoking (though many don't).  That eliminates most of the restaurants there, but not all.  Smokers have some place to go and non-smokers know which places to avoid.  Seems reasonable to me.

Ah but this is an issue on which too many people are not reasonable!

Marlene

Yes indeed, Marlene :smile: Many of the legislators seem to forget that their "victims" are actually drug addicts, people who are not in control of their addiction, and people who are likely to react irrationally and violently to perceived assault. Legislators would do well to learn something about the subject before rushing aboard the bandwagon of political advantage.

Not that I frequent any, but a non-smoking bar just seems kind of pointless to me.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Not that I frequent any, but a non-smoking bar just seems kind of pointless to me.

Why? The point of a bar is to drink alcohol in a social environment: hang out with friend/co-workers, watch a game, pick up the opposite sex, dance maybe. Why does smoking have to be a part of that? To me, it would be a hindrance to all of those activities.

Why? The point of a bar is to drink alcohol in a social environment: hang out with friend/co-workers, watch a game, pick up the opposite sex, dance maybe. Why does smoking have to be a part of that? To me, it would be a hindrance to all of those activities.

no no. smoking can help you pick up chicks. as long as they're smoking.

dancing with a cigarette, however, is touristical and looks silly at best.

I see a point to them, and a need, actually. I have a VERY low tolerance to smoke, hate smelling of it later myself and on my clothes (etc, you've heard it all before.)

Now, there are certain beverages that I'd like to try, like some single-malts for example, that are far too expensive to risk buying a whole bottle, only to find out that I dislike it. Unless I know someone that already has a bottle of the stuff, and is willing to let me sample it, a bar is a perfect way to sample something without risking very much money. Since I can't tolerate smoky rooms, I can't try those expensive but possibly worthwhile drinks.

Edit: For clarity.

Edited by Human Bean (log)