• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The perfect spatula

prasantrin

Rubber spatulas are not all created equal. Some really suck--too stiff so they don't conform to the bowl, and you can't scrape the last bits out, etc. etc. This is especially true if you own a Vitamix since the containers are square-ish and it's almost impossible to scrape them out well.

So what brands make perfect spatulas? Perfect for scraping cake batter? Perfect for folding egg whites into whatever? Perfect for scraping smoothies and soups out of my Vitamix?

I do know Vitamix makes spatulas ($9 for 3, and they're nylon), but I'm hoping not to have to resort to mail order.

Well not sure if you have the brand in America, but I'm rather fond of my Le Chef spatula's, have about 5 of them, I use them for everything.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

I swear by the silicone spatches made by Cafe du Joy (no idea whether those are available in the US) - just springy enough to conform, just stiff enough to scrape really well, and I can stir hot things with them as well without worrying that they're going to deform. I have seven different shapes and sizes for various uses.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I prefer the Rubbermaid, High-Heat spatulas and in the Vitamix I use the spoon scraper.

Cook's Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen) uses these too.

They are good to 500° F.

For cake batters %etc., this big one works better than others. I used to have a long one made by Pyrex that was almost identical (17 inches long) but the handle broke, after several years heavy use and I replaced it with this one and a shorter one but I usually use the big one.

This is the "spoonula" I use for the Vitamix

I should add that I have a bunch of rubber and silicone spatulas, Trudeau, Orka, OSO, KitchenAid, HIC and some others with no names.

I had some with wood handles that I tossed out because they couldn't go into the dishwasher - well, they did but the handles separated from the blade.

I had a Le Creuset and the handle broke when I was scraping a bowl of cookie dough.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like pyrex professional silicone:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Professional-Silicone-Spatula-Set/dp/B000095SE1

they are not very popular as they have a ridge you can barely see where you put your hand. its meant to keep the spat. from sliding into the bowl when you rest it there or something like that.

I ended up removing it.

it has a firm handle and a semi-firm working 'blade'

I have yet to find the model used on American Test Kitchen, but would love to try one.

I like my Le Creuset spatulas, just the right flexibility for me.

For getting into tight spaces, like blenders, I rely on the smaller, skinny spatulas--they're half the width of a standard spatula:

DSCF0886.JPG

Because a certain DH was earlier impatiently waiting for me to get of the computer, I never said why I loved my Trudeau spatulas in post #7. They are sturdy little critters and come in various sizes which means that 9" is just perfect for my hand. Plus being all of one piece, the heads can never come off. They come in all different shapes. The price is right. What more can you ask for?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I prefer the Rubbermaid, High-Heat spatulas and in the Vitamix I use the spoon scraper.

Cook's Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen) uses these too.

They are good to 500° F.

I agree on the Rubbermaid,I also use them to turn stuff in teflon nonstickpans...

Bud

i thought Id ask here:

that red RubberMaid: is the handle stiff ? so some reason I dont care for Spats. that have flexibility in the handle

thanks

There is only very slight flexibility in the handle. For all practical purposes, it is stiff and stable when working fairly heavy dough.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to like these Chefn Switchit Spatula & Spoon I just bought but the spatula blade is just too flimsy!

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Switchit-All-Purpose-Silicone-Spatula/dp/B00276BXQ0

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Switchit-Silicone-Spatula-Cherry/dp/B001CJXJX8

I loved my old silicone spatula/spoonulas from Wm Sonoma (they are the same as Le Creuset I think) but didn't repurchase because I don't like the big wooden handle they switched to. Are the metal handled ones they sell in store the same or is there anywhere you can still buy the Le Creuset spatulas with the old handles?

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Kerry - it looks like you have the trudeau spoonula that Darienne likes. Is it a similar firmness to the little william sonoma one you have? Thx!

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I think I must also have a rubber/silicone spatula/spoonula scraper fetish like Kerry.

I gathered most of mine from various crocks and hangers (a couple are in the dishwasher) and lined them up and took photos.

The longest and largest 16 1/2" at the far left, spoonulas at the far right, along with a "chopula" recent addition at the far right that doubles as a scraper, chopper, flipper & etc.

Some are showing their age but are still useful. A while back I tossed all the ones with wooden handles after breaking one and getting a big splinter in my hand.

spatulas1.JPG

Spatulas.JPG

Spatulas3.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Kerry - it looks like you have the trudeau spoonula that Darienne likes. Is it a similar firmness to the little william sonoma one you have? Thx!

Oops just saw this now - sorry. About the same stiffness I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

After all that I forgot to mention that the spatulas I use with best effect in the Vitamix are the long skinny ones with blue, green and clear paddles. The paddles are flexible enough to slide under the Vitamix blades and yet firm enough to clean even fairly sticky stuff from the corners.

I bought mine at a local "Factory Outlet" kitchen store.

They have just about every brand and type of spatula on the market in the U.S.