• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confection classes

rebgold

I have been asked to do some adult classes with some simple topics like pies, marshmallows, maybe truffles, etc... I'm trying to figure out how one creates a class that will be interesting for people when I don't have enough equipment for them to actually make things themselves. I really only have one of everything, mixer, food processor, two burner stovetop, etc...

Has anyone ever done classes like this? Do the participants usually handle the ingredients, like 240 degree syrup, themselves?

Reb

I would avoid letting newbies deal with hot sugar of any kind. This type of thing screams "demo". In the classes I've planned, I demo the more complex or "dangerous" stuff and let the class handle the components to assemble final products. Something that's always fun is teaching them how to temper chocolate.

Good luck!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

All the classes I've attended had the students do everything (even Level 1 chocolates when we were making caramels). Having said that, the instructor was very quick to figure out who he would let near the boiling sugar and who he'd keep away from it.

Edited to add: those kept away from boiling sugar got to make ganache instead

Edited by gap (log)