• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finally using long-dormant contraptions

Fat Guy

We got a Russell-Hobbs electric kettle aa a wedding gift in 1994. Due to limited counter space and free gas we virtually never used it in our old apartment. Now there's a corner where it fits nicely, and our gas is separately metered, so all of a sudden an electric kettle seems workable. I love the thing and have used it a couple of times a day for about a week now.

Has this story happened to you?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As you probably know by now :biggrin: I have a lot of old (vintage) junk that gets brought out of storage from time to time, used for a while and then put away and something else takes the stage.

It's fun to rediscover how nicely some of these old appliances work - made when things were expected to last for years, if not decades.

I have one of the old Russell Hobbs kettles with the round plug in the kettle - purchased in 1977, still works. I got it because it had an automatic shutoff switch. Sunbeam made a nice kettle but it had to be unplugged and would boil dry if unattended.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We were admittedly regifted an electric waffle iron for our wedding from friends who got one for their wedding and never used it, and I do go on the occasional waffle bender, making waffles for breakfast for a few weeks at a time. Then it goes back into the cupboard for several months until the urge returns.

Yes, this has happened to me in a way. My Mother and Father moved to California when I was about 25 and thus I came into all Mother's kitchen and dining room stuff. I hated cooking...as said before...until about 4 years ago now...and so what I did was to give much of it away and generally rid myself of all of it over the years as I gave up on my ever using it. An old stand mixer, a meat grinder, several original Salton trays, crystal, Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, mixing bowls, Pyrex, grill, pots and pans, and on and on and on. Andie would have loved to have a lot of it as it went back to the early 30s.

And now I have spent the last four years re-accumulating all the tools I need to cook and bake. :hmmm: Oh, and now I have a deliberately small galley kitchen which means that my stuff is stored in the kitchen, my studio, the breezeway, the cellar, the living room and the garage.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.