• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Updating Easter Supper

BadRabbit

My family is full of good cooks but at holidays we tend to do the same dishes in the same way we always have. As the years move on, our family has gotten so large that we're now doing more of a "pot luck" style except that each person is assigned a particular dish.

This year I've gotten hashbrown casserole and I'd like to update it a bit hoping that I will inspire everybody to be a little more adventurous in the future. It may backfire and they may kill me for ruining Easter but it's a chance I'm willing to take.

Any ideas on how to update my dish and ideas for revisions to other Easter classics?

I'll be interested to see what ideas you get. I am a fresh ingredient, from-scratch cook just about all the time; HOWEVER,if I tried to update, or in anyway mess with my family's Hash Brown Casserole (canned Campbell's soups, frozen hash browns) they would kill me, too. And honestly,it is so good, why bother?

My hashbrown casserole already has onions but I might try adding some dijon and maybe some chanterelle mushrooms. The purple potatos idea sounds interesting but I'm afraid the old folks wouldn't even try something that looked so alien to them.

Tell them its good for them and people are starving in China

I put a few purple pots on top of au gratin sometimes. Looks nice.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Edited by gfweb (log)