• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Women As Chefs

Chef Forley --

I'd appreciate it if you could share your experiences in being a female chef as you progressed from commis de cuisine and chef de partie to co-supervisor of male chefs.

What are your thoughts on the limited number of top women chefs in France? Do you have any thoughts on the respective cuisine of Anne-Sophie Pic, Reine Sammut, Ghislaine Arabian and Helene Darroze? Do you accord attention to the mentoring of female chefs and female dining room members at Verbena? :wink:

Edited by cabrales (log)

As I worked my way 'up the line' I was always motivated to move to the next level. I knew if I focused and followed instructions I would eventually get there. There was a certain amount of testing in a new kitchen but once I achieved my position that subsided. I knew that when I would have my own kitchen I could establish my own rules. I have been lucky to open my restaurant and run my kitchen. I have also enjoyed mentoring many women that have passed through Verbena. I now collaborate with Michael and we share the responsibilities of running a restaurant together. We are able to actually do more together. Four eyes are better than two. I have not been able to visit the french women chefs respective restaurants - I look forward to it , however. I have eaten in Darroze, her father's location and enjoyed it very much. It's great that they are able to make new history in France and choose to continue as culinary professionals establishing their own styles.

Having trailed twice at Verbena -- once several years ago for Chef Diane and once early this year for Chef Michael -- I can attest to the nurturing atmosphere there. I got the feeling that both of you will mentor anyone in your kitchen whom you feel will benefit -- but will pay special attention to women, to make up for past lacks. (Now I wish I had taken your part-time offer :sad: )