• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Tools With Descriptive Names

weinoo

Over in Amirault's topic about chicken liver paté, I describe how my grandmother would use a kitchen tool she had to make her chopped liver.

That tool was called a hockmeisser, which is, I believe, the Yiddish word for the half-moon shaped chopping blade.

I just think it's a greatly descriptive word for that tool, (similar to an Italian mezzaluna).

What other great, descriptive names (English, Yiddish, whatever) are there for our kitchen tools?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Potato masher, basher and etc.

Herb chopper, mincer.

Honey dripper.

Salad spinner.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Chitarra, or guitar as my Aunt Anna would say.

That's one.

I think the Danish rivejern (Danish for a 'grater', and also, I've been told, an abrasive woman) sounds incredibly raspy and evocative of the tool.

That's another.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That tool was called a hockmeisser, which is, I believe, the Yiddish word for the half-moon shaped chopping blade.

I just think it's a greatly descriptive word for that tool, (similar to an Italian mezzaluna).

Another similar tool is the Alaskan Ulu. Inuit for "woman's knife", it describes who uses it rather than what it does...which is just about everything in the hands of the skilled.

I'll add:

Meat grinder

Sausage stuffer

Sausage/casing pricker

How about batticarne? Direct translation from the Italian: meat pounder.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett