• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Restaurant Reviewer Ever?

weinoo

From Craig Claiborne to Ruth Reichl; Gael Greene to Adam Platt; Patty Unterman to Michael Bauer; Jonathan Gold to Robert Sietsema; Phyllis Richman to Tom Sietsema (no relation).

Who is really the greatest restaurant reviewer of all time?

And - biggest hack?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I can't really answer the question as to greatest reviewer as I do not eat at fine dining establishments. However, I adore Jonathan Gold and have been a huge fan since his column in Part 2 of the L.A. Times Food Section (yes it was a 2 parter back in the day), and continue to vicariously enjoy incredible food via his LA Weekly column. He puts you right in the eater's seat with the vibe, presentation, smells, and vivid taste descriptions. Course they gave him a Pulitzer for a reason :) Local boy rules!

Maybe it's a local bias, being from Denver, but I've always been fond of the Westword's former critic (who now writes for Seattle Weekly), Jason Sheehan. His reviews have always been filled with delightful adjectives and bursts of humor.

Toss up between Ruth Reichl and Jonathan Gold. Probably only because I'm most familiar with their works, since they were/are both prolific LA-centric writers. But I also love Reichl's writing in general, not just restaurant reviews.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"