• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problem with inflating vacuum sealer bags

Montreal

I had this occur one time. I both cleaned (with warm water) the seal around the lucite top and made certain the top seated itself in a flat manner on the metal top of the machine. Unless it is against the metal, you will not be able to pull a vacuum. The silicone seal of the top must be in contact all around.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Further and as you probably have read in the manual, the first setting is vacuum percentage (which can also be set to adjust for a longer vacuum pull), the second is used for injecting gases and the third is the time necessary to seal the bag. I had been using 2.4 seconds for sealing, but have dialed back to 1.8 seconds since the longer time caused the seal and cutting to overheat the plastic and potentially allow air into a bag. Make certain your bags are not covering the small hole at the rear where air is pulled from the chamber as this will interfere. One last suggestion is that if there is too much moisture or humidity being pulled from what you are sealing, this sometimes causes difficuly in reaching the desired vacuum level.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks