• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking fixes for common issues

BadRabbit

I feel like this has probably been covered on the board before but after multiple searches, I couldn't find it.

I was using Corriher's "Cookwise" the other day for her Brioche recipe and ran across what I always thought was the best part of the book. In some of her sections, she describes how to fix common issues (e.g. flat cookies). I thought it might be helpful to have all of those type tips in one thread.

The one I think is was most helpful to me when I was first learning to cook was:

Too Salty = add acid

What other fixes are there that will solve common problems?

Good idea.

Too bitter = add salt

I claim no originality for this ... but I can't remember where I first read it!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Good idea.

Too bitter = add salt

I claim no originality for this ... but I can't remember where I first read it!

It's fairly widespread. I know Heston Blumenthal suggests to add some salt to tonic water to experience the effect.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Too piquant? Add sweetness or creaminess (eg. yoghurt)

No depth of flavour at end of cooking? Add acid (vinegar), umami (ground dried mushrooms), and/or volatile herbs (basil, oregano, tarragon).

Too Sweet? Add acid (sour) or piquant (hot: chili, pepper)

Dull palate: Add salt

Too salty? Add sour, sweet, and/or heat to lift all the flavour profile.

Too sour? Add sweet and/or salt to balance out

Notes:

Elements such as Worcestershire sauce add both salty and sour

Use acid appropriate to the region of origin of the dish you are cooking

Same with salt [salt, fish sauce, parmesan cheese (salt and umami)]

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I'd like to add this internal link for fixing broken ganache, which I tried just a few minutes ago, and found very effective, even though I used the crudest possible version of the less elaborate of the two techniques described (i.e no thermometer, just warmed the ganache to blood temp., tested it on my wrist, set it aside for a minute to bring it down to about 35 C, then added small splashes of boiled milk, mixing after each until it came together).

N.B. There is a good chance that your ganache will look much worse before it comes together, but persist, and it should be fine.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I have one which was brought to mind by answering another thread: how to hard-boil and peel quite / too fresh eggs. Using the regular methods, the eggs are often impossible to peel.

The answer is baking soda in the water. Then plunge the cooked eggs into cold water. Crack them all over and leave them to sit in the cold water for a while. Then peel them. That should help.

Of course, that is not a 'fix' in the real sense of the word - but rather a pre-fix.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have one which was brought to mind by answering another thread: how to hard-boil and peel quite / too fresh eggs. Using the regular methods, the eggs are often impossible to peel.

The answer is baking soda in the water. Then plunge the cooked eggs into cold water. Crack them all over and leave them to sit in the cold water for a while. Then peel them. That should help.

Of course, that is not a 'fix' in the real sense of the word - but rather a pre-fix.

Hmmm, the thing that comes to mind for me is to make egg salad, and serve in filo shells, with a sprinkle of crisp bacon on top!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

By Robert Wolke: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A25891-2001Apr17

"First, it turned out that the conductivities of the salt waters after simmering with potato were slightly higher -- not lower -- than those of the untreated waters. So potatoes alone must contribute some electrical conductivity to the water in which they are boiled"

It's obvious that Mr. Wolke wasn't much of a scientist as a kid or he's have known about the electrical properties of potatoes. I mean, who didn't have the famous potato clock?