• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharing a Kitchen in an Ingredient Desert

Kerry Beal

Thanks for posting the photos. They give me a great appreciation of your efforts in presenting what looks to me to be incredible food.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Today was an interesting day food wise. I'd taken in the figgy buckwheat scones, the remains of the batch of Anna's olive sables and some of Anna's lemon bars (has she posted those yet?).

One of the nurses brought in a dessert tray for me - custard tarts in phyllo with fresh fruit, pecan pie and cake. The lady in the condo down below us dropped off a pumpkin pie and whipped cream (at least we assumed it was her - it was sitting in the front hall when I got home for a bit over the supper hour). I'll have to check with her tomorrow and return something in kind.

I brought the medical student home with me for dinner from the ER. Anna had put together a fabulous spread - a pork tenderloin marinated in oil, shallots, coriander and lemon rind that we grilled on the egg, a really tasty potato and parsnip gratin and roasted cauliflower. For dessert we had our choice of lemon bars, pumpkin pie or chocolate.

DSCN1508.jpg

DSCN1507.jpg

Chocolates made in the magnetic mold using a home made transfer.

Im Jealous!! I have to find someone here to cook with. Happy Thanksgiving!! Whats on the menu?

Not doing the Thanksgiving meal today. Heading back tomorrow. The 23 lb turkey is a bit of a squeeze on the mini's 9 inch grill.

DSCN1510.jpg

Milk chocolate dipped pink marshmallows to go into the donated basket for the breast cancer 'Party in Pink'.

DSCN1512.jpg

Matcha and strawberry poprock bark. It's a very flavourful but astringent matcha that was a sample from Metropolitan Tea.

DSCN1514.jpg

Cheese bread to use up the bit of mashed potato and potato water in the fridge as well as some of the big block of cheddar I brought up. A loaf will be repayment for the pumpkin pie left inside the front door yesterday. Sure hope the neighbour downstairs is the one who left it!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

The last instalment of our trip - the trip home!

We got up first thing, got the car packed up and headed off to be at the ferry terminal an hour before sailing. Given the road construction on the island we allowed a little extra time - which left us enough time for a bit of breakfast in South Baymouth.

DSCN1515.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

Perfectly crispy bacon with eggs for each of us.

DSCN1519.jpg

Not the best picture of the ferry coming in.

DSCN1520.jpg

DSCN1522.jpg

We stopped in the very, very small hamlet of Mar for lunch - it's a crossroad with a post office/gas station/lunch counter all in one building. The owner makes pretty much everything from scratch - including her breads and pies.

Because she's so proud of her bread she uses nice big hunks of it - it kind of overwhelmed my hot hamburger (never had one with two pieces of bread) and Anna's toasted western - which came out as a bacon,lettuce and tomato instead! The husband of the lovely woman who is cook and postmistress is very outgoing and a little confused at times. We heard 3 times about how Anna's fries were made from potatoes dug just two days earlier - and he'd had to wait while they were dug!

Anna returned home to a happy hubby who had cooked lobster for her - mine had forgotten to make my tea! I'll keep him anyway.