• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chicken is going vertical

helenas

The "Beer Can Chicken" method of roasting has been extensively tested and evaluated on the various BBQ/Smoking mailing lists, and the overall consensus was that it may add moisture from the beer, but any additional flavor from the beer or any herbs, spices or other flavorings added to it had little if no impact on the flavor. The vertical roasting rack did seem to speed the cooking and provide a more even roasting as it allowed more circulation of heat/smoke within the cavity.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I'm in the middle of the disaster; isn't it embarassing? :blush:

On the 20th minute i decided to add some water to the cake pan, in which my chicken was sitting proudly on it's vertical roaster: and you know what happened :dramatic pause emoticon: - the pan cracked ( no wonder, since it was Chantal ceramic baking pan). So here i am, surrounded by all this smoke and surprised pets, with my husband still in Japan!

Amarone supported, i stubbornly carry on my mission.:angry:

To be continued...

Helena, it's probably better that Alex isn't there to see what happened. :wink: We won't tell him.

Shit like that can happen to anyone. As long as you and the pets were not hurt, and no shards of ceramic got into your dinner. :blink: Was the pan on the oven rack, pulled out? or still inside the oven? Either way, you have my sympathy on the cleanup. But we all have done something like that at one time or another.

We still love you :laugh::laugh:

Thanks Suzanne for your words of sympathy; actually smoke fumes nothwithstanding, we're good here, and well fed, i should tell you. The chicken is out of the oven and from what i can tell from the wing tasting (OK, i also tried some breast meat), it's very good and moist.

Since i had a pizza stone in my oven, this is the only thing that was hit: cleaning should not be a problem.

Now i only knew how to get rid of these fumes :angry:

Like Suzanne said,  things like this happen to everyone.  NO BIGGIE.  :smile:

Ditto!

It seems like the chicken came out just fine after all.

And your patience and presence of mind paif off.

I am glad that you and the pets are safe and sound. That is what matters most.

If it gives you any confidence, I burned my left hand this morning. Was making a fritata and after taking out of the oven with mitts on my hands, I picked up the frying pan minus mitts just before I was about to place the fritata onto a platter.

The fritata was tasty just like your chicken... The moment passed.... And now I am able to sit here and type and feel happy knowing that you are safe after the minor accident.

Do tell us more details about this when you find more time and after you have gathered your thoughts about it all. It seems like you would be the best person to learn more about this technique. Now that you have experienced what can go wrong.