• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red and Yellow Watermelon Skewers

JeanneCake

On Monday, in preparation for a "high end tailgating party" for this weekend, I was looking online for different ways to present fruit skewers (the party is also doubling as a photo shoot for an event planner's portfolio).

So in the search, I came across a photo I cannot find again. It showed red and yellow watermelon, cut with a round cutter with some type of white cheese ball in between and perched on a clear cocktail stick (I ultimately bought some sticks and a platform from jbprince). It gave me the idea to use yellow watermelon, which our produce guy was able to get in and looks/tastes great.

I have been looking for this picture for the last two days and no luck, no matter what I search on. I've looked at the jbprince site, the Swiss Chalet site (because I was going to order some verrines but didn't), on epicurious but no luck. I was hoping to see what kind of cheese it was (I don't want to use feta; I know feta and watermelon is a nice combo but wanted something else). It was a fairly close up photo (it was easy to tell the watermelon had been cut with a cutter); nothing in the background (that I can remember) but I can't find it and the party is tomorrow so perhaps someone can suggest a cheese to use with it or is way better at finding images than I am!

what a pain these were!

I bought some imported greek feta this morning, but when I tasted it, I didn't like it with the watermelon (it was really bland, not sharp or tangy and I was surprized and then I had to improvise, because I'd already used goat cheese with the figs/proscuitto and I was using a sweet gorgonzola in fresh apricots). I'd already cut the watermelons (the watermelons tasted ok, the yellow wasn't as sweet as the red) into coins and I ended up alternating the red and yellow colors on the skewers - four "coins".

The irony was that the event was outdoors, under a colored tent.

A red and yellow striped tent.

Which I didn't know until I got there and then the event planner was wondering why I couldn't stop laughing when I arrived. The photographer was in seventh heaven, though; he got some shots of the skewers with the tent in the background. But it had the desired effect - people loved them and the presentation.

Sometimes the pastry gods have a sense of humor! :cool::raz:

And I think ricotta salatta would have been good; I wish I'd seen it in the market this morning. I still have a whole yellow melon left so maybe I'll try it ....