• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cilantro & Lime Sorbet?

pastameshugana

I was reading the fascinating thread about the amazing sounding Capogiro in Pennsylvania. I must say I was thrilled by the thought of Cilantro & Lime sorbet!

Unfortunately, the chances of me making it anywhere near there this decade are pretty slim at the moment.

If you were tasked with making that dessert, how would you do it? We live in Southeast New Mexico at the moment, and that sounds like the absolute quintessential dessert to finish off a New Mexican dish!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I'd make 2 cups of cilantro simple syrup. And then squeeze 1/2 cup of lime juice. Add a tablespoon or two of gin or vodka. Dash salt. Let the base rest overnight. And then freeze it.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

First of all, I just want to say that I'm a big fan of Capogiro myself. While studying in DC, I had the chance to make a trip out to Philly for a night, and before I left I made sure to grab a cup at Capogiro. It was so good, in fact, that I had to go back for another, and I ended up eating about 8 flavors of ice cream that day.

As for the cilantro & lime sorbet, I'd say experiment a little bit with different quantities of cilantro and lime. Both are pretty powerful ingredients, and I can imagine some people will like it stronger than others. Weinoo's suggestion sounds great, so I'd say give that a try and then shift the quantities of the cilantro syrup and lime juice to get what you want.

Edmund Mokhtarian

Food and Wine Blogger

http://www.thefoodbuster.com

I'd suggest using zest from the lime and not just the juice. That's where you'll get more of the distinctive lime flavor.

Only issue is that I sometimes find lime zest to be a bit bitter and even when not, it can be overpowering, so be careful with it. And scrub those limes well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?