• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

National Ice Cream Month

If I may:

[from Wikipedia]

Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month in 1984. He also appointed the third Sunday in July as National Ice Cream Day. Reagan recognized the popularity of ice cream in the United States (90% of the nation's population consumes ice cream) and stated that these two events should be observed with "appropriate ceremonies and activities."

Let's get busy and celebrate! I know I am doing my part! :biggrin:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 years later...

There was I looking for an ice cream topic to update for the 2012 season and found this one which I started in 2010. Now I'll add to it.

The ice cream season chez nous is off to a very good start. No photos tho...

Recently I've made my own somewhat altered versions of: DL's Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream (twice), DL's Aztec "Hot" Chocolate Ice Cream, a nougat ice cream (lost the provenance) - sort of vanilla plus the kitchen sink, Peanut Butter Ice Cream (eGullet recipe, amccomb 2005), Rum Ice Cream (Epicurious - too much booze I think). For the weekend I'll make Lychee Ice Cream (lost provenance) and next week Triple Ginger Ice Cream (eGullet recipe, Food Man) and Coconut Sorbet (eGullet recipe, Andie Pasinger). I'll take a look at DL's Ginger Ice Cream too.

Altered? : my go-to base for ice cream is half & half and cornstarch, pinch of salt and a dollop of corn syrup. It needs updating a la paulraphael's instructions but currently I am too overwhelmed by home renovations. I'll get there yet.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

just made a batch of nutella ice cream...easy and tasty!

Where did you get such a recipe, please? Sounds unusual to me.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Getting an early start this past weekend, I made a small batch of DL's Goat Cheese Ice Cream (locally produced cheese from Dancing Goat Creamery), then folded in chopped 70% chocolate and fresh Michigan sweet cherries that were pitted, quartered, and macerated in northern Michigan's Black Star Farms Spirit of Cherry (a.k.a. kirsch).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Getting an early start this past weekend, I made a small batch of DL's Goat Cheese Ice Cream (locally produced cheese from Dancing Goat Creamery), then folded in chopped 70% chocolate and fresh Michigan sweet cherries that were pitted, quartered, and macerated in northern Michigan's Black Star Farms Spirit of Cherry (a.k.a. kirsch).

Where's mine? I'm dying here.

Does sorbet count? Today I made a sorbet from pitted* sweet dark cherries and pitted* tart pie cherries, a spot of lemon juice, a whipped egg white, and a simple syrup of 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water. I plan to serve the finished product with chopped slivered almonds. It's all such a deep red that something lighter in color and crunchier in texture will be a complement.

*Well, I thought they were pitted, but that seems only to have applied to the 99%. The blender suggested there was a 1% 'otherwise' in there, and the food mill proved it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Does sorbet count? Today I made a sorbet from pitted* sweet dark cherries and pitted* tart pie cherries, a spot of lemon juice, a whipped egg white, and a simple syrup of 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water. I plan to serve the finished product with chopped slivered almonds. It's all such a deep red that something lighter in color and crunchier in texture will be a complement.

*Well, I thought they were pitted, but that seems only to have applied to the 99%. The blender suggested there was a 1% 'otherwise' in there, and the food mill proved it.

It counts if you want it to count. I don't make much sorbet because DH doesn't like it. He wants 'cream'. I'd have to eat the entire thing myself I guess.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

... I don't make much sorbet because DH doesn't like it. He wants 'cream'. I'd have to eat the entire thing myself I guess.

Well, what are you waiting for? :wink:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

... I don't make much sorbet because DH doesn't like it. He wants 'cream'. I'd have to eat the entire thing myself I guess.

Well, what are you waiting for? :wink:

Good question.

In keeping with the Oriental flavor of the upcoming weekend, I have just finished making Red Bean Coconut Milk Ice Cream.(Ca Rem Dau Do) http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2010/10/red-bean-and-coconut-ice-cream-recipe.html http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2010/10/red-bean-and-coconut-ice-cream-recipe.html Viet World Kitchen.

I had only red bean paste so I omitted the sugar and then had to add more liquid to offset the thickness of the paste. Duh. Tastes good.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Made a Triple Ginger Ice Cream, a recipe on eG by Food Man. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php/topic/128733-triple-ginger-ice-cream/page__hl__%2Btriple+%2Bginger+%2Bice+%2Bcream Very , very nice.

I did do my usual alterations, in that my ice cream base is a cornstarch one and I don't use heavy cream or eggs. Oh, and I cut down the amount of sugar from 9 oz to only 7.45 (which is a cup) and the word is still out as to whether that was too much or not. Oh, and a very small part of the sugar was corn syrup and I added the pinch of salt. Right. With all those changes, it was the recipe. :laugh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've been making a lot from David Lebovitz's book lately as a way to capture summer fruit. Strawberry ice cream and frozen yogurt, both excellent. Apricot ice cream, as the fruit has just appeared in the farmers market, fantastic and maybe my favorite so far.

Not fruit, but the Vietnamese coffee ice cream was great, and topped with classic hot fudge sauce, the combination was transcendant, clearly the favorite of everyone else. Even I (who doesn't care for chocolate) scraped the last bits from the bowl.

• 2 weeks later...

In my fridge I have the base for a mixed berry-sour cream ice cream adapted from Dorie Greenspan's recipe for blueberry-sour cream ice cream. I am going to spin it up when I get home tonight. I've been making a lot of Vietnamese iced coffee to drink lately, so I may have to give the DL Vietnamese iced coffee recipe a try next. I do love coffee ice cream...

Each year I add new ice creams to my repertoire, but the old (well, old as of 4 years old) favorites just keep being made over and over. Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream is always on the list. Along with Butterscotch Toffee Ice Cream and a kitchen sink kind which is more or less vanilla with endless inclusions.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.