• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for Outdoor Entertaining with a Big Griddle

griddler

I recently purchased a propane powered griddle (Brand is Blackstone, size is 3 feet long by 20 inches deep). We have a summer retreat where most weekends are spent with family and friends with group meals ranging from 4-20 people depending on the weekend. I want to use this toy to the best advantage I can. Breakfast is obvious and I am already planning on making my own bacon and sausage although I still need killer hash browns and potato pancake recipes. For dinner I am planning to visit Benihana and see if I can hone my teppanyaki skills. Another application I have thought of is burritos where you cook up the onions, peppers, meat etc. and move it to a cooler part of the griddle and then make burritos as needed when people show up. For lunches I can plan grilled cheese or Panini’s. I have a large wood fired grill/smoker that works well for burgers and brats up to pork buts and briskets so I don’t necessarily want to do everything on this griddle; I just want to use it when it is the best option. Is there a short order cook text book or resource guide that covers most everything you can do with a griddle?

Thats it !!! I have used it a couple times since it arrived (free delivery from amazon and the griddle surface alone weighs around 80 pounds). I know it will take some pratice but I am looking forward to the challenge.

Even better than the burrito idea would be what is served in many of my local taquerias, a dish called Alambres. There is a combination of at least three meats (but it always includes bacon, usually there is chorizo as well- bacon is key, though), cooked on the flat top griddle with the sliced onions and peppers (it's great with poblanos, if you can get them), and when near completion shredded cheese is added and given a quick mix. Serve on a platter with sliced avocado on top and a stack of corn tortillas on the side, people can then feel free to grab a tortilla and scoop the alambres into it as they see fit. It is great for a group, or even a couple of people.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

On our grill we use a natural stone surface that comes in 6" x 16" modules, so I put 2 or 3 side by side on the grill. Then it is perfect for a stir fry! Also you can grill fish fillets on this stone or your griddle because the fillets won't flake. They have recipes for the Grillstone on the website so you can check that out too.

But easy for a crowd would be to throw on the grill:

stew meat or chunks of chicken or shrimp/scallops

add chopped onions, peppers and whatever other veggies you have

stir around with a spatula a few minutes

pour a sauce (BBQ/teriyaki/peanut) over the stir fry - mix in

then put a cover (aluminum pan?/alu foil?) over it for a few minutes

the sauce and the food on the grill will blend together - stay on top of the griddle or grillstone - and caramelize into something wonderful!

Edited by VermontGrillingandGrowing (log)