• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

King Arthur Flour vs Bob's Red Mill

Aloha Steve

I have been a cheerleader for King Arthur Flour since my mentor or instigator (LOL) cousin who introduced me to baking, told me she uses KAF exclusively. She said she could tell that it was a consistently high quality product and was also consistent with the protein levels claimed. After using their products myself and dealing with the company directly, I in my newbie experience, can tell its good stuff and the customer service is excellent. They are a employee owned company or a ESOP and maybe that's why when you deal with someone who works there you are really dealing with an owner, so they care more about the consumer.

On to Bob's Red Mill. I have bought two items from this company (when I could not get a similar KAF product), used each a few times, and have no complaints. I don't have much experience with their products.

Have any of you compared the two companies products, side by side ?

Oh and BTW, Bob, the recently no longer owner of Bob's Red Mill followed the KAF's example, and sold the business to the employees.

You can Goggle it if you want to know the particulars.

What it says to me though is "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" Unless I find out otherwise its KAF for me.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I wasn't aware there was much crossover. Several places I shop always stock KA large-size unbleached AP, bread flour and ww flour. I've never seen any comparably large size bags of Bob's, and assume if they exist they are probably more pricey than KA. I think of Bob's for hard-to-find or specialty flours. We always have on hand Bob's pumpernickel/rye, graham flour, and medium grind corn meal. When I make corn bread (1 to 1 AP to corn) I can really tell the difference; Bob's is far better than any other organic corn meal I've used, bulk or otherwise.

They are both excellent resources, but don't really think of them as selling the same products, though there is certainly overlap. KAF I use for my baking and pastry flours. Bob's Red Mill carries excellent "specialty" flours. Those I've used and loved include: garbanzo, graham, buckwheat, almond and hazelnut flours, and several grades of corn meal--the coarse corn meal makes the best polenta I've ever produced. Not long ago I picked up some teff flour, thinking that one of these days I might try my hand at injera and ethiopian food (never tried cooking either but love them). I don't think you can get those from KAF.

I wasn't aware there was much crossover. Several places I shop always stock KA large-size unbleached AP, bread flour and ww flour. I've never seen any comparably large size bags of Bob's, and assume if they exist they are probably more pricey than KA. I think of Bob's for hard-to-find or specialty flours. We always have on hand Bob's pumpernickel/rye, graham flour, and medium grind corn meal. When I make corn bread (1 to 1 AP to corn) I can really tell the difference; Bob's is far better than any other organic corn meal I've used, bulk or otherwise.

As I think about it Katie, now that you pointed out that Bob's is more of a speciality provider, I can see there is not that much of a crossover. Thanks for pointing that out, one of my lessons for today. And I can use their products guilt free, not feeling like I'm not being brand loyal to KAF. LOL

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb