• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset Grill Top

Shel_B

I assume it means the lid can be used as a grill?

Lodge sells a dutch oven with a lid that can be used as a skillet.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

If you look at the third picture on the link you included, it shows the grill pan, which is in essence a frypan with ridges for grilling things on.

Basically, as Dakki said, the lid can be used separately as a grill pan thus making the pot a two-in-one cooking instrument.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

If you look at the third picture on the link you included, it shows the grill pan, which is in essence a frypan with ridges for grilling things on.

Thanks. I saw that after posting my question. However, my Sunday morning haven't-had-coffee-yet brain is still not understanding completely. Can the top be put on a burner enamel side down? Won't the enamel get damaged by coming in contact with direct heat? The pot itself doesn't have an enamel coating on the bottom where it meats the heat. I'm assuming there's a reason for that. Time for cawfee ...

... Shel

I assume it means the lid can be used as a grill?

Lodge sells a dutch oven with a lid that can be used as a skillet.

I saw that while searching for information about the lid. The Lodge lid isn't enamel coated, and it's easy for me to understand how it can be used directly over heat. My concern and confusion is explained in my post to nickrey, above.

... Shel

Today I saw the Le Creuset Grill Cover on a 7-qt oval Dutch oven. What is a grill top? I couldn't find it listed on the LC web site.

I spent part of my "can't sleep tonight" night looking at the le creuset website. I looked at pictures and products on the american, UK and France pages and couldn't come up with anything that looked like the ebay photos. Something in the handles looked different from all of the offering I saw. This offering is from a reputable seller - however, I wonder if this really is a Le Creuset piece... Just me wondering - not accusing.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Can the top be put on a burner enamel side down? Won't the enamel get damaged by coming in contact with direct heat? The pot itself doesn't have an enamel coating on the bottom where it meats the heat. I'm assuming there's a reason for that.

While it's true that the bottoms of older Le Creuset pots were coated in a matte black enamel (they weren't untreated cast iron), LC pots have had hard enamel coating on the bottom for years (Staub does too, as does Lodge enamel coated cookware). It's perfectly safe directly on the burner.

While it's true that the bottoms of older Le Creuset pots were coated in a matte black enamel (they weren't untreated cast iron), LC pots have had hard enamel coating on the bottom for years (Staub does too, as does Lodge enamel coated cookware). It's perfectly safe directly on the burner.

I'll had to disagree with you, at least in part. My Le Creuset pots do not have an enamel coating on the bottom, but they are older pots. I just bought a new pot yesterday so I'll have a chance to see what the current pots are like when it gets delivered in a day or so.

... Shel

I have a set of LeCreuset which is at the very least 10 years old and they have enamel on the bottom of all of them. I gave the skillet to my daughter as her older flat-top said that these pans were safe to use on it. Two older skillets do not have the enamelled bottom but are plain cast iron and would easily scratch the older flat tops.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a set of LeCreuset which is at the very least 10 years old and they have enamel on the bottom of all of them. I gave the skillet to my daughter as her older flat-top said that these pans were safe to use on it. Two older skillets do not have the enamelled bottom but are plain cast iron and would easily scratch the older flat tops.

OK, my LC is older still, purchased 30 years ago. That may explain the difference.

... Shel

For what it's worth, we have a fairly new Le Creuset grill pan (maybe 2-3 years old) that is enameled on the bottom -- just cleaned it after breakfast this AM. Our older LC items (30+ years) have enameled and untrammeled bottoms. I have no idea why, though. I'd appreciate any info just out of curiousity..

I think there's some confusion here. The LeCreuset pots that appear to be bare iron are in fact enameled. Janet describes it as "black;" I would call it gray, but the fact remains. This is the clear "ground coat" that LC applies before adding color; see here (scroll down to "Enameling." Since it's clear, you can see the raw iron through it.

Further proof: it doesn't rust.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I think there's some confusion here. The LeCreuset pots that appear to be bare iron are in fact enameled. Janet describes it as "black;" I would call it gray, but the fact remains. This is the clear "ground coat" that LC applies before adding color; see here (scroll down to "Enameling." Since it's clear, you can see the raw iron through it.

I concede! You are right! Mine does not rust. But I still find it strange that the instruction book for my daughter's flat top insisted that these "bare" bases should not be used but the coloured ones were approved! So I am among many to make the same mistake I guess. Thanks for clearing this up.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks so much for clearing that up. Now the lack of rust on my pots makes sense. And all along I thought it was the excellent care I gave them <LOL>

... Shel

Thanks so much for clearing that up. Now the lack of rust on my pots makes sense. And all along I thought it was the excellent care I gave them <LOL>

HmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmIMG_1504.JPG

There are exceptions! The base of this small casserole is extremely rough and if dragged across a flat top would almost certainly leave scratches. And yes, that is rust!!!

My 2004 eG Blog