• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

String Cheese

jpropaganda

Am I completely crazy, or does Polly-O string cheese taste quantifiably better than any other string cheese there is? What do you all think? Can you tell a difference? How is it possible Polly-O is THAT much better? Is there a better one?

Incidentally, when I lived in Canada I went nuts, since it's not available up there.

What kind of cheese IS string cheese, anyway? Is it mozz?

YES......

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

• 2 months later...

I completely agree that Polly-O is noticably better tasting. I actually like their 2% fat (their low-fat version) mozzarella/cheddar twists the best.

I've been eating reduced-fat string cheese for so long that regular tastes weird to me now.

Scubadoo, those sound delicious!

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

I have recently been eating a lot of string cheese and I must confess that I have stayed away from Poly-O because of the low-rent name and packaging (subject for another thread??). I've been buying Sargento and the regular is pretty good. The low-fat is noticibly firmer/drier and saltier. I will try the Polly-O when I pick some up this afternoon.