• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network Recipes from the Past

prasantrin

I was browsing through the Food Network's list of shows, looking for references to the old "How to Boil Water" show. I'm pretty sure that's what it was called, but it didn't involve Tyler Florence, but had a woman and sort of geeky guy as hosts. I got the best chicken souvlaki recipe from them, but I've since lost the disks I saved them to (this was more than 10 years ago, before the prevalence of CD-Rs much less memory sticks).

David Rosengarten's recipes are not on TFN's site either, but Sara Moulton's recipes still are.

Where can one find the good recipes from TFN?

I was browsing through the Food Network's list of shows, looking for references to the old "How to Boil Water" show. I'm pretty sure that's what it was called, but it didn't involve Tyler Florence, but had a woman and sort of geeky guy as hosts. I got the best chicken souvlaki recipe from them, but I've since lost the disks I saved them to (this was more than 10 years ago, before the prevalence of CD-Rs much less memory sticks).

David Rosengarten's recipes are not on TFN's site either, but Sara Moulton's recipes still are.

Where can one find the good recipes from TFN?

I thought you could use the Internet Wayback Machine but I didn't have much luck accessing the recipes from that time period. Trying to follow archived old links, even on my fast internet connection, tested my patience. :angry: Perhaps someone else will have better luck.

I did find that the original hosts were listed as Lynne Koplitz and Frederic Van Coppernolle (March 2003).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

How To Boil Water has had several hosts, starting with Emeril Lagasse prior to his bigger shows. You may wish to check that link to determine which set of hosts you're remembering.

I can't find anything uploaded on youtube, although there are recipes by that name from other people.

I'd try both emailing and snail-mailing Food Network with as much info as you can provide. They have been through some management changes, but should still have materials around from old shows.

They did publish a How To Boil Water cookbook, you may wish to track that down. Amazon doesn't have any images of inside pages, so, I don't know what recipes are in it.

They did publish a How To Boil Water cookbook, you may wish to track that down. Amazon doesn't have any images of inside pages, so, I don't know what recipes are in it.

Lisa, I was logging back on to make the same suggestion. I'd try a library or bookstore, if available, to check out the index to see if the recipe is even in the cookbook. I was surprised Amazon didn't provide a "Look Inside!" link for the cookbook which usually includes the index.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks for the help!

I found the wiki article shortly after I posted, and I was able to use that info to pinpoint the recipe I was looking for. Or at least what I think is the recipe I was looking for. I'm hoping to try it out soon.

No luck on the David Rosengarten recipes, though. I think he must have retained the copyright for his recipes (though I may be wrong). I sure hope I can find the disks I had saved those recipes to!