• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$200 scrambled eggs

Fat Guy

The other day I was the beneficiary of a 50g tin of Petrossian's Royal Siberian caviar, left over from an extravagant gift sampler. Petrossian is a very fine purveyor of caviar and a 50g tin of Royal Siberian goes for $201 retail. For those of you who don't speak metric, a 50g tin is about 1 3/4 ounces.

Because the tin had been opened but the caviar hadn't been served, I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the refrigerator for long. And I was planning to be out both days this weekend. So I felt I had to use it for Saturday breakfast or discard it, and I wasn't about to discard $201 worth of Petrossian caviar. I called a couple of friends -- the people I rely on for last-minute things like this -- but one had to play tennis and the other couldn't handle waking up for 8:30 breakfast.

So, I scrambled some eggs in a saucepan using the Jean-Georges medium-high-heat method, made some simple home-fried potatoes, and dumped the whole tin of caviar on top of the eggs. Topped with a dollop of creme fraiche, also left over from the Petrossian gift basket.

It was good. Sorry you couldn't be there.

caviarandscrambledeggs.jpg

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It seems to me that you live an exceedingly difficult life, Fat Guy. Apparently, it's hard to come by decent ingredients to make your breakfast with, and find yourself using such incredibly substandard ingredients.

As a good friend (with a caring heart), I'm willing to help you share your (ahem) burden. Please, don't subject yourself to this kind of torture. Just call. Really. I'm here to help.

/End sarcasm

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Scrambled eggs and caviar I get (and wish I could have shared!)... but including the home fries seems like it would be a salt OD. Did you prepare the homefries differently than usual in preparation for their caviar accompaniment?

I omitted onions because I wanted subtle flavors, but I seasoned as normal. I probably wound up eating a lot of salt. The overall effect, however, was not one of extreme saltiness. Also, I've found, based on limited experience, that the fancier caviars have less salty flavors.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wish. But we had a long drive ahead. I had water.