• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confectionery treats for service providers:

Darienne

DH and I and the two pups live a life full of folks who make our lives pleasant and easier. These folks don't really have to give more than minimum service, but they go out of their ways to be kind and helpful. One of the joys of living in a rural area. They love our dogs, and they apparently like us too. And Christmas is nearing.

Our vets treat our dogs very well. The guys at the transfer station (aka the garbage dump) give our dogs cookies. The butcher gives us special meat cuts. And on and on the list goes: computer tech, pharmacist, chiro, hardware store guys, library staff, lumber yard, mail-lady, etc. Oh, the library staff who get me Inter-library loan books constantly. They have to be kept happy. :wink:

However, some of the confections must be able to withstand a number of treatments: being in the cold for several hours, stuck on a shelf for several days, put into a fridge, etc. (The fridge treatment is the opposite for those who live in a warm climate who might fear their treats will be left in the sun, etc.) Even forgotten and left behind for a couple of weeks. The transfer guys work outside...they don't even have a real 'inside' at all. Of course some will eat the candies right away and I'm already down for chocolate-dipped ginger from a number of places. And of course, I am making hard tack lollipops for the library to sell as usual.

I just need some good ideas which I haven't considered. Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

One of the gifts, that is always a favorite, is tassies. Recipes for all kinds can be found on the Internet. I use the pecan tassies recipe from the Kraft website. A basic pie dough can be used in place of the cream cheese dough they have in their recipe.

They're like little pecan pies. I make 2 kinds, with white and brown sugar. Which I like more is a toss-up. They keep very well, but are better stored in a tin, to stay dry.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

One of the gifts, that is always a favorite, is tassies. Recipes for all kinds can be found on the Internet. I use the pecan tassies recipe from the Kraft website. A basic pie dough can be used in place of the cream cheese dough they have in their recipe.

They're like little pecan pies. I make 2 kinds, with white and brown sugar. Which I like more is a toss-up. They keep very well, but are better stored in a tin, to stay dry.

Theresa :smile:

Thanks Theresa.

I just might try them...after I get my three miniature muffin pans back. :laugh: Lent them to a friend who is making things for a bazaar sale.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I love the dipped ginger idea! I might steal that one myself! This year I am doing some favored hot cocoas with homemade marshmellows, and I was thinking some of the jars with different mixes in it that is built up like the sand sculpture jars? They were popular a few years back and I still do them. Chocolate chip cookie mix, brownie mix, with a tag of what the user is to add and baking instructions.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 4 weeks later...

Darienne, I actually work with Domino Sugar and we have some wonderful recipes and ideas for homemade gifts on our holiday website that might work well for your service providers. If you’re worried about the shelf-life, try our recipes for dry Cookie Mixes in a Jar like our Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookie Mix in a Jar or our classic Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix in a Jar, which may store better than regular baked goods. There are even step-by-step instructions and printable gift tags to accompany your jars all on our holiday website. Hope this helps!