• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Time to NYC, Lots of questions!

syrah girl

Speaking as a tourist, I love the Grand Central Oyster bar, especially the counters, as totally New York-y bit of new your. Pan Roast or just raw. My experience at Jean George was marred a bit by frankly amateurish service, but for the price I'd go back in a second.

I like Cafe Un Deaux Trois on 44th street about 40 feet from the Lion King, but probably more for the beautiful room than the merely average steak frites.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thank you, I called Minetta and we could get a 5:30 reservation but that is a bit early since we are arriving on the train from DC the day we want to dine there. I'm going to go with Cafe Boulud, I'll report back on how we like it after we dine there. I know New York is going to be awesome! :)

I saw someone mention the donut factory. I don't totally get the raves about this place. I think the "donuts" at Payards are worthy of a last meal, along with anything else they bake there.

If you're looking for a great breakfast that is NOT a tourist trap, I recommend Good Enough to Eat, but you better get there right when they open if you don't want to wait in line.

For another non-tourist trap, I'd suggest The Mermaid Inn. If you eat early, they have a "deal" on their lobster roll, which is awesome. If you want to splurge, they have a raw bar appetizer for 2 that rocks, including a variety of fresh oysters.

-Mark

P.S. I was lucky enough to spend a week in the kitchen at Le Bernardin some years ago. I suggest not eating that day and then buy all the food you can afford at dinner. You won't regret it.

Edited by MarkIsCooking (log)

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I saw someone mention the donut factory. I don't totally get the raves about this place. I think the "donuts" at Payards are worthy of a last meal, along with anything else they bake there.

Wow, with a reco like 'worthy of last meal', I went to get the address and they are not open in NYC at the moment....... :sad:

Hopefully they will and we will get to taste.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

-Mark

While you might not "get it," that doesn't mean that the donuts at Doughnut Plant aren't outstanding. I had a pumpkin glazed cake donut yesterday for $2 that, with a cup of home-brewed Counter Culture coffee was out-of-this- world good.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My wife and I ate at Le Bernardin on a trip to NYC last August. I still think about the meal we ate even now. It was astounding. I've yet to eat seafood since that has taken my breath away so much. I only wish I'd asked for a copy of the menu to take home as It inspired me so much at the time.

My starter which was a long thin crouton with Foie gras, covered with the thinnest carpaccio of tuna (and a dressing which which has escaped me sadly) was sublime!

My wife has an annoying habit of ordering something that, once arrived, I wish I had ordered. This time Neither her pan-fried red snapper with a tomato consommé, nor my poached Halibut with pistachios outshone the other.

I can't wait until my next visit, I do wish I had gone for the tasting menu though but I had eaten a large breakfast and snacked all day so I would definately take MarkisCooking's advice and not eat all day.

@lostinthelarder

Lost in the Larder - the life and times of an inquisitive appetite

Rather than start up another thread, let me append this one with a specific request for a mid-to-upscale restaurant that offers one or two dishes a moderately adventurous diner might eat, but without being boring. Price a little down from "really expensive" but it doesn't have to be a budget experience. A little dress-up but no neckties. Not too freaking bustle-y. In the past, the Grammercy Tavern's front room might have served admirably (and it still might, I haven't heard anything in a while), Maybe even Babbo, but Lupa might be a little downscale. Is Landmarc still good?

In short, someplace where we can get a little swank without pushing the envelope for an unknown teenage guest.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Rather than start up another thread, let me append this one with a specific request for a mid-to-upscale restaurant that offers one or two dishes a moderately adventurous diner might eat, but without being boring. Price a little down from "really expensive" but it doesn't have to be a budget experience. A little dress-up but no neckties. Not too freaking bustle-y. In the past, the Grammercy Tavern's front room might have served admirably (and it still might, I haven't heard anything in a while), Maybe even Babbo, but Lupa might be a little downscale. Is Landmarc still good?

In short, someplace where we can get a little swank without pushing the envelope for an unknown teenage guest.

Aldea.

• 2 weeks later...

We're back and NYC was even more amazing than I imagined it to be. We dined at Cafe Boulud the first night, a very busy cafe with excellent food and service. We had the Clam Chowder, I had a Veal entree that was amazing and a very good salad. The next night was Le Bernardin which is now my favorite all-time restaurant. I was lucky enough to get a photo with Eric back in the kitchen and he signed my menu, very cool! We chose Esca for our third dinner before the Lion King show, I had a Kampachi appetizer and the served pair my meal with a great white wine from Italy. The Rockfish was excellent, another very busy and buzzy NYC eatery. We had lunch at Katz Deli one day and I got my true NYC diner experience there. Excellent Pastrami sandwich and we had the Chocolate Cheesecake for dessert. Also stopped by Magnolia Bakery for a slice of Red Velvet Cake, very yummy. We had a very elegant breakfast at The Plaza where we stayed for 3 nights, I believe it was in the Oak Room there, it was upstairs. The Brioche French Toast stuffed with Pineapple and a Mango Syrup was fantastic, you feel like royalty dining there and staying there. My first visit to NYC was perfect and I can't wait to return again to hit some places we missed during our short stay there. :)

Gotham Bar & Grill ?