• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Central, Paramus

But the best deal used to be the once a year blowout at Brdge. people would line up starting at 5 in the morning. Plus if you were a food service professioinal they would give you an additional 15% off.

If old man Bridge were still alive and found out that you posted this on a public internet board...well...He'd have your balls for a wall trophy. :laugh::biggrin::smile:

Nick

That's for sure. He was one mean SOB but man did he know equipment.

I was in there one time and he taps me on the shoulder to introduce me to the head of Wustoff. Was the only time I ever saw Fred have a nice moment.

But for other grumpy b*stards in the equipment business just go to New York Cake and Baking on W22st for some abuse. Jeez......

Nasty and dismissive about cover the landscape.

But, if you caught Fred Bridge in one of his good moments, he could be a treasure. I bought bread pans there years ago, and mentioned to him my bread was noticeably better using his pans.

He brightened up, and went off on a roll about how suppliers were cutting back on quality, and the only thing that mattered was price. His bread pans were meyer's (?) top quality, etc. Used in the best places. He was interrupted by somebody from Sign of the Dove who wanted oyster forks or something equally obscure, which he had in stock.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Hackensack Restaurant supply (for nonequipment needs) is fairly competitive.

is that the place whose sign you can see from route 80? i've always been curious. what kind of stuff do they have?

as far as that "international food warehouse," i think it's completely lame. the produce is not notable, if it exists at all, there is an embarrassing lack of asain foods, and it's not all that big unless you want to buy cheap t-shirts and junk like that. and it's ugly. it's a non-entity when compared to the place in jersey city.

Tommy, you're probably right about IFW, but why the f would you go to JC for produce or asian supplies when you have more stores per mile` in Bergen then anyplace except the three Chinatowns in NYC. Btw have you been to JC lately, its gone way downhill like IFW.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Tommy, you're probably right about IFW, but why the f would you go to JC for produce or asian supplies when you have more stores per mile` in Bergen then anyplace except the three Chinatowns in NYC. Btw have you been to JC lately, its gone way downhill like IFW.

i haven't been there lately.

what asain places do you know of in bergen, with the exception of those korean joints and the thai place in hackensack? do tell.

what asain places do you know of in bergen, with the exception of those korean joints and the thai place in hackensack?  do tell.

Tommy,

Work your way down River Road through Fort Lee and Edgewater. There is quite a large Japanese supermarket on your left (before the Galaxy). Used to be called Yaohan (different name now). Also a Whole Foods Market that makes the one in Ridgewood look like a NYC Bodega. If you follow it all the way, you should end up at Spirito Grill and Chart house. A very short putt from Hoboken.

Also Japanese/Korean "bodegas" all over Eastern Bergen (Tenafly, Closter, Englewood etc...)

Nick

Kinderkamack across from Finks, not great but does the job. Washington Ave in Bergenfeild. As far as Han Au Rheum goes there's not many that have the size and coverage that they have. Nick handled just a "few" of the others. BTW I thought we were talking about Chef Central. :laugh: I just came home from work and went past 17 on the Pkwy, I hope Swissmiss didn't go.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

The King Fung Asian Market is located accross the streat from me (Finks) Their seafood is VERY good, usually at least two species of live crab (I have seen as many as four) and a food counter that serves very traditional chinese food, i didn't like the tendons. As far as Chef Central is concerned they have an amazing selection at horrible prices. There is a restaurant supply store in Bloomfield off the Parkway (you can see it coming north) This is pretty reasonable and also has a huge used equipment stock. Hackensack supply is not bad, but I haven't been there in years; I need to go to find containers to sell individual pot pies in and was told they would be likely to have it. Restaurant Depot is off of RT 80, but you do need a tax id # to get in. Ebay is also a great place to shop if you don't mind waiting a week or two.

fink

fink's funky chicken and ribs

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

yeah, yaohon rules. that place on kindermack didn't smell so hot, so i probably won't run back. i'll try bergenfield.

thanks for the suggestions.

went to chef central today. wasn't a madhouse. was looking for a vessel in which to brine me turkey, but they didn't have anything. luckily the Container Store about .5 miles (or 20 minutes) up 17 had a bunch of food-grade plastic thingies. that's a cool little place for foodies as well.

Fink your right, but most nonproffesionals would like CC better than food equipment stores especially if they don't know what they want.

Restaurant Depot is off of RT 80, but you do need a tax id # to get in.

when you say you need a tax id # to get in, they don't cross reference it or anything, right? or do you need some sort of proof you're in the restaurant industry.

bueller?

no just a W3 or W4

yeah, yaohon rules.  that place on kindermack didn't smell so hot, so i probably won't run back.  i'll try bergenfield.

thanks for the suggestions.

went to chef central today.  wasn't a madhouse.  was looking for a vessel in which to brine me turkey, but they didn't have anything.  luckily the Container Store about .5 miles (or 20 minutes) up 17 had a bunch of food-grade plastic thingies.  that's a cool little place for foodies as well.

5 gal paint pail from Home Depot $2.00

13 gal garbage bag with handle ties .10

brined turkey from Goffle Poultry Farm priceless!

Work your way down River Road through Fort Lee and Edgewater.  There is quite a large Japanese supermarket on your left (before the Galaxy).  Used to be called Yaohan (different name now).

It's now called Mitsuwa. Not as good as it used to be, less selection but better than anything else around. The fish, though pricey, is very pristine and is mostly for sashimi.

Good selection of meets cut for shabu shabu, sukiyaki, etc. They even have a restaurant court for a quick bite.

The Japanese restaurant, Matsushima out in back of the market, on the Hudson, has incredible cooked food and a nice sake selection.

Good selection of meets cut for shabu shabu, sukiyaki, etc. They even have a restaurant court for a quick bite.

The Japanese restaurant, Matsushima out in back of the market, on the Hudson, has incredible cooked food and a nice sake selection.

i've always wanted to try that restaurant. i've been intimdated for some reason. :wacko:

the fish at matsuhahahas is very freakin good. it's the only place in this area that i can find sashimi grade (yes, marketing term, whatever) fish. do you know of any others nockerl?

I believe certain plastics are labled food grade. Something about being able to withstand leaching, as well as the material content. Not just any container will do (for me at least). Probably no big deal, but still, I don't use hardware store type plastics for anything but storing beer on ice. Ice to be consumed isn't stored in them either. Stuff by Cambro or Rubbermaid are usually food grade. This type of stuff is where Hackensack Supply shines

Nick

i've always wanted to try that restaurant. i've been intimdated for some reason. :wacko:

the fish at matsuhahahas is very freakin good. it's the only place in this area that i can find sashimi grade (yes, marketing term, whatever) fish. do you know of any others nockerl?

It's the only one I know of, alhtough they could probably special order sushi grade for you at Whole Foods in edgewater. It's one of the only places in the area that I feel comfortable buying fresh fish (I was met their buyer in Gloucester, MA and their operation and committment to quality is quite impressive)(As a matter of fact you'll never see catfish in a whole foods because they feed it bone meal!). Seems that north jersey is devoid of top quality fish markets ala Jakes, Citarella, etc.

As for Matsushima, they are quite user friendly and will take the time to explain the dishes to you. When you walk in there is a table with one of each of the cooked dishes for you to look at. Our favorites icluded Magura Kama, which is the richly fatty tuna neck-- sort of a Japanese version of osso buco. His Aji Tataki (he has aji flown in from japan twice a week) was one of the best I've ever sampled. If you are lucky and MR. Matsushima is there, be sure to strike up a conversation about sake, one of his favorite topics. He did a great impromtu tasting for us one evening and even broke into his personal stash.....Now that is personal service and it was spontaneous and unrehearsed. Hope this un-intimidates you.....

does it come with a cover?

the cover was another 12 bucks.

just kidding. of course it did silly.

what color is it?