• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veggie friendly dining in Paris

Frege

My sister will be in Paris next month. She appreciates fine restaurants (lives in Manhattan), but is a vegetarian. So I was wondering if folks could suggest restaurants that are vegetarian friendly - i.e. not vegetarian restaurants, per se, but chefs who are willing to accomodate to vegetarians at the same level that they cook for non-vegetarians.

Thanks very much for your (as usual) great recommendations.

It's a no-brainer, but if she wants a 'once in a lifetime extraordinary vegetable based meal', she should consider l'Arpege. That said, we have found that when we travel with vegetarian friends, particularly if we mention the preference when we make the reservation, essentially no restaurant has failed to come up with delightful and creative dishes.

eGullet member #80.

Agreed, Passard is wonderful with veggies, and I also think that Gagnaire and l'Astrance would be wonderful choices for the veggie oriented. And I also agree that any chef worth his salt can turn out a great veggie-based meal with some advance notice. But my query is a little more pointed - below the lofty peaks of the restaurants mentioned, are there any chefs of note with a particular feel and sensitivity for vegetarians, (rather than treating it as a culinary affliction that need be catered to, no matter how well).

Edited by Frege (log)

• 3 weeks later...

When I think vegetarian in Paris falafel always comes to mind. Chez Marianne & L'as du Falafel in the Marais are two very popular choices (with good food.) But, my favorite stop for Falafel and the like is the Lebanese restaurant Mont Liban, 42 Boulevard des Batignolles, in the 17th - I think they do a really good job of it. (all of these places have both a dining room for nicer meals and a quick and easy carry out).

Also for a lighter cafe style lunch or brunch, try Rose Bakery - there are two in Paris & they have a focus on organic food, I believe, and when I was there the menu looks to be vegetarian. The Rose Bakery gets a lot of media buzz and has a pretty loyal following. I personally think the portions are a bit on the small size, but I just ate there the other day and the food is very tasty & deserving of the praise.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I should have mentioned it in the prior post, but there are already a couple of threads on vegie dining in the France forum here.

This thread should probably be merged with on of the existing...however, I'm not sure the France forum has a host these days to do so??

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Also, your sis should be careful to define "vegetarian." I don't know what the current cultural trends are in France in terms of interpreting that word. Simply saying "vegitarianne" could get you anything from vegan to fish or even chicken. If she's on the "I'll pick out the meat" side of things, that's much easier, but many veggies don't want their food to touch dead animal products. Does she mind food cooked in lard or bacon fat? What about meat/poultry/fish stock?

If worst comes to worst, living on baguettes and cheeses and bananna/nutella crepes isn't so bad! (er, not that I know from personal experience... :biggrin: )