• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Times NJ Section

ngatti

Looks as if we've got are own little wedsenday food section here.

Cook and Corcoran on NJ desserts

Marge Perry on cheese

Gretchen Kurtz on culinary students

John Foy on the personal toll of life in the biz. (not for him anymore) :wink:

The section is a special one about the best of NJ. So many food articles. Ahh culture. :rolleyes:

Nick

do you have a title for that Corcoran article? I'm trying to find it on the NYtimes web page, and they dont have a specific jersey section link.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

do you have a title for that Corcoran article? I'm trying to find it on the NYtimes web page, and they dont have a specific jersey section link.

Jason,

The title is "The Best of the Sweets"

There is *no* byline, but one deduces from the article that is a compilation of reviews from Cook and Corcoran.

re the Times website as it concerns NJ:

We are definitely second class citizens. The Times does not post regional reviews until two weeks after they appear in print. I don't know what their policy is re general editorial content of the NJ regional section.

Nick

John Foy on the personal toll of life in the biz.  (not for him anymore) :wink:

Nick

Foy's packing it in?

He pretty much said the nude women thing had taken the joy out of the jersey shore lifestyle.

Sad, if it's true

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

John Foy on the personal toll of life in the biz.  (not for him anymore) :wink:

Nick

Foy's packing it in?

He pretty much said the nude women thing had taken the joy out of the jersey shore lifestyle.

Sad, if it's true

John is the writer (ex chef late of Sonoma Grill). Dennis is the current Chef down at the shore.

Nick

There is also a post under Got Dessert???

CLICK HERE

Sorry Rosie. Twas not my intention to purloin thunder.

I read the title of your post and glossed over the text (really glossed).

I didn't register the ref to Marge Perry's and Foy's pieces. So I posted what I did.

Nick

You can access this article by going to www.nytimes.com and typing "best of the sweets" (don't forget the quotation marks) in the search window at the top of the screen.

It is not, in fact, a compilation of reviews. The editor of the Best of New Jersey special section asked Karla Cook and me to write a few original paragraphs about a few of our favorite desserts.

On a related matter: the John Foy who wrote about top chefs is not the Foy whose shore restaurant was involved in the flap over a painting of a nude in the window. That's his brother Dennis.

You can access this article by going to www.nytimes.com and typing "best of the sweets" (don't forget the quotation marks) in the search window at the top of the screen.

It is not, in fact, a compilation of reviews. The editor of the Best of New Jersey special section asked Karla Cook and me to write a few original paragraphs about a few of our favorite desserts.

On a related matter: the John Foy who wrote about top chefs is not the Foy whose shore restaurant was involved in the flap over a painting of a nude in the window. That's his brother Dennis.

Thank you for the clarification.

Here's the link Folks: Clickety Clack

On a related matter, might we ask for a links to the other food related articles from this section.

(Still feelin' a bit like a bastard stepchild) :biggrin:

Nick

I wish they would have given my boy roberto santa maria some credit on the desserts at nicholas. I mean like 5 of the pictures on that front cover were his. All they spoke about was the cheese. Not that there is anything wrong with that because the article was written beautifully. But Like i said i would have liked to see robertos name in there is all. Maybe im just speaking as a friend though. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too!!! :biggrin:

I wish they would have given my boy roberto santa maria some credit on the desserts at nicholas. I mean like 5 of the pictures on that front cover were his. All they spoke about was the cheese. Not that there is anything wrong with that because the article was written beautifully. But Like i said i would have liked to see robertos name in there is all. Maybe im just speaking as a friend though. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too!!! :biggrin:

Keep it up!! It's good to give props to the ones we work with. Always show suport!! :biggrin:

I'm hopin' we can get a link Marge Perry's cheese piece up ("Farmer Moves Cheese Back To Grass Roots"). Goes far beyond just cheese. Within the context of a Norhwestern NJ farmer, the article addresses a holistic approach to sustainable artisanal agriculture and, by implication and extension, how we as consumers (and restauranteurs) interact with the food production model as it currently exists, along with the goal of a different, idealistic (but doable) paradigm. One with great potential. A thought provoking piece, IMO.

Here is the link to the farm profiled in the article

Bobolink Dairy

edit: I found this by Rail Paul on another board within this site. I think it's relevent.

Marge Perry has a well written article in the NJ section of the Times (November 10) concerning Bobolink Farm. This venture is the latest project of Jonathan White, who received widespread recognition as the progenitor of Egg Farm Dairy in New York. Mr White now operates a farm in Vernon NJ, near Warwick NY

The article describe his latest efforts at raw milk cheese, and his desire to produce an economic alternative to the uphill struggle many dairy farmers encounter today. His farm also offers freshly baked bread, and will offer internships for persons interested in bread or cheese making.

His current free range cow herd is not yet producing milk, so he outsources milk from Amish farmers to produce his cheeses. In time, his own herd will provide milk for 90 day cheeses. Cheese is available via the website.

The farm is open for tours (Saturdays 9 - 2). There's no mention of current distribution locations in the article other than the website. For additional info, the website is Cows Outside

The article will probably appear on the Times website within the next ten days or so.

I plan on visiting the farm soon

Nick

• 5 months later...

I sent an Email to daniel@nytimes.com I asked that he add to the online paper the New Jersey section food and restaurant reviews.

I forwarded the answer following to a friend of mine-- he said this is the problem with people that live on an island.

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 16:19:48 -0500

Thanks for your note. As you know, we don't currently run the regional

restaurant reviews, but I will pass your note along to my higher-ups.

best, Dan

EGullet people--

Maybe this forum will be interested in helping the higher-ups get a message.

Dan Saltzstein

Senior Producer, New York Times on the Web

tel: 646-698-8050

fax: 646-698-8014

daniel@nytimes.com

www.nytimes.com

www.nytimes.com/magazine

www.nytimes.com/dining

www.nytimes.com/home

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 16:19:48 -0500

Thanks for your note. As you know, we don't currently run the regional

restaurant reviews, but I will pass your note along to my higher-ups.

best, Dan

EGullet people--

Maybe this forum will be interested in helping the higher-ups get a message.

Dan Saltzstein

Senior Producer, New York Times on the Web

tel: 646-698-8050

fax: 646-698-8014

daniel@nytimes.com

I think we have discussed this issue many times in the past, and I believe Dan is wrong (shows you how efficient the Times is)-- it seems the NJ restaurant reviews are "delayed" on the web, and mysteriously appear 10-14 days after publication. There are quite a few threads which have links to Corcoran reviews and they come right up, such as 90 Granc Grill, Joel's Malibu, and many others.

The funniest part of this is that the head of the NY Times Web Service was NOT aware of this!!!

Edited by menton1 (log)

" I think we have discussed this issue many times in the past, and I believe Dan is wrong (shows you how efficient the Times is)-- it seems the NJ restaurant reviews are "delayed" on the web, and mysteriously appear 10-14 days after publication. There are quite a few threads which have links to Corcoran reviews and they come right up, such as 90 Granc Grill, Joel's Malibu, and many others.

The funniest part of this is that the head of the NY Times Web Service was NOT aware of this!!! " quote Menton1

So I take from your comment that this satisfies you, waiting 10-14 days, versus going to their web site to a NJ reviews box and getting the reviews as you can with NY reviews.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Ok

So what I am suggesting is that we don't like waiting and if we pummel Dan with Emails maybe we can put NJ on the (his) Map.

Maybe he can learn there is a large market just off his island?

Thanks

I think this might be a software issue rather than a "contempt for New Jersey" issue-- but I would defer to experts like Jason for comments on software...

Just think it is laughable that the "Senior Producer" of the website told you that the info is unavailable altogether. Ironic.

Looks like the Times has a new affinity for Jersey City. 3 of the last 6 weeks covering restos in JC. Today is the "private house" that has been talked about on other threads. A rather lukewarm review by Corcoran, I thought. A lot of money, and only well spent, it seems, if you like to gorge yourself on copious quantities of ordinary stuff.

What do people recommend in Jersey City for inexpensive dinners?

Spend the $6 on the Holland Tunnel and head to Chinatown.

I also love Capsouto Freres, right outside the tunnel entrance on Washington Street, not that cheap, but a good value. (About $35PP Tax & Tip)