• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ever try to cancel zagat.com?

sickchangeup

So I got an email from the Zagat Guide telling me that my subscription was about to auto-renew. I didn't even know I had one, although looking back on my statement from a year ago, I see the $24.95 fee there.

Well, needless to say, I want this to stop. I visit the website, login and look for the option to cancel (or not auto-renew). Not available. Instead there is a number. I call the number, but no one picks up. I get the option to speak to an operator, which I take. I tell her "Hi, I want to cancel my subscription", she says "hold" , then hangs up on me.

I call back - line is busy. I wait about 2-3 minutes, then try again. Again, no one picks up, so I chose the operator option. It rings for a long time this time, then someone picks up and hangs up without saying hello. I'm guessing they have caller ID?

So I try to call back - busy again. Currently waiting my 2-3 minutes before trying again.

Same routine as before, but the operator picks up this time, then proceeds to transfer me right back to the number that I dialed initially which no one picks up obviously (ironically the recorded voice says I've reached the "corporate sales line"). My only option (unless I decide to chose the operator once more) appears to be to leave a voicemail and wait for them to get back to me.

First call back and the system actually hangs up before the voicemail system kicks in. Calling right back once again get's me a busy tone.

Wait 2-3 minutes, call back and now I've left a voicemail. Due to their very considerate mail advising me I'm going to be auto-renewing if I don't do anything, I actually have a month left to get this done, so I'm pretty sure I'm good.

Might be easier to call your credit card company, explain, and ask them to disallow any Zagat charges.

Wonder if Zagat has a rating for Zagat company service?

My suggestion exactly. Explain that you've been trying to cancel the impending charge without success and tell the card company to not allow the charge.

Might be easier to call your credit card company, explain, and ask them to disallow any Zagat charges.

Wonder if Zagat has a rating for Zagat company service?

My suggestion exactly. Explain that you've been trying to cancel the impending charge without success and tell the card company to not allow the charge.

Well, I just started. If it's still this way in a week or two (which I really doubt), then yeah I may consider it.