• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Record Restaurant Reviews

ngatti

Rene; I read your review on the internet for Mortons. I wonder if you could discuss their wine list and pricing.Btw Maybe you could suggest to the Record that they include your email address on the internet version. Thanks Steve T.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Bergen Record again demonstrated that their restaurant reviews are not to be trusted. This past weekend they reviewed Marra's, in Ridgewood, a place I have been to and would rate as fair.

The review included such comments as "wobbly chairs qualifying for a carnival ride." , "petite table" "decor not much" "abundance of bad seats" "servers reaching across the table" "servers not well trained in the art of correct posture" . After this litany of complaints, the reviewer mentioned a few good entrees, a bad one, and generally favorable food quality, if unspectacular. The total score of this experience: 3 Stars!!! How could that be? I read the review again to ensure that my reading skills were not slipping, and was incredulous the second time as well. How can the Record claim any credibility at all in their restaurant reviews after such a score? Maybe this would deserve 3 stars out of 10, but I think the top score is 4 stars.

The Record restaurant reviews are not credible, and this one was an embarrassment. :blink:

• 1 month later...
4/15  Some new reviews to read and discuss. Tell us your opinion.

http://www.northjersey.com/topic.php?qstr=...nFlZUVFeXkyMDI=

I haven't been to 77 Walnut in several months, but my recollection was generally positive. One notable difference was the joint was empty, perhaps 4-5 tables taken on a Saturday evening. That made for a custom, negotiated dinner. Nicely timed, properly prepared, not over sauced or too sweet.

I'm intrigued that the place was full on her recent visit, yet Ms Rabat didn't care for it, and lays out her evidence, which seems compelling.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Okay, John's Shanghai is at least decent, but that review is a bit glowier than it deserves. It's good in comparison to the endless legion of crappy cantonese places, but 3 "diamonds"? :blink: Kinara, the Indian restaurant in the same mall is 3, but not John's.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Rosie

I know there has been much debate about the Record reviews and I agree there is just something amiss.

Look at the reviews for the Manor, by Bonom, and Berta's , by Mack. Both get 2.5 stars, but based on the reviews would you think the restaurants are of the same quality of experience --- food, service, and ambiance?

I must state that the issue of service at the entry to the Terrace Lounge is extremely out of character with the Manor.

That said, I admit here that while I have eaten at both places - Berta's not for a while - the Manor recently and regularly - I do have an edge at the Manor. I am known there and would be treated differently than someone coming in the door that is not known. But, a stranger to the place would be treated extremely well, and I would have a more personal experience. I was surprised at the Bonom comment about waiting 10 minutes to be acknowledged. Maybe it felt like 10 minutes? Both Sam Odeh, Director of Dining Services, and Carlos who run that room are at the top of their profession. If they were not, the General Manager, Steve Meier, would not allow them to hold such an important position. I have known many staffers over the years that have gone on to other establishments. When I run into them, they all tell me how demanding the GM is. I told a staffer on one visit of a funny experience I had dealing with the reservation people. Well the GM came to my table and apologized profusely. I thought it was funny – he saw a public relations disaster. As for the wait staff, Kevin, Raoul, Greg, Alex, they treat me a known entity and unknown others like Royalty.

Want to give someone a gift that is top notch and a little different? Buy the Manor style gift certificate. They have $100 gold coin not a piece of paper. It is impressive.

Now, some in this forum may say I am a shill. So here I will state that every once in a while things are not perfect. I do not challenge, by the way, the 2.5 out of three stars Bonom gave the Manor. (I challenge Mack giving the same to Berta’s.) On my last visit I ordered the cheese course. The cheese was old, dry and tired. If the Manor does not get enough orders for cheese to turn their inventory, they should consider dropping the concept. But, that cheese should not have made it to my table. I love bread, especially the baguettes. For some reason on this visit the young guy who serves the bread appeared to be operating in more than one room and was not available when I needed him for replenishment. Maybe they should serve from the bread tray, a selection of my choosing, to a basket on the table and then replenish the basket. As for desert, I finally was there when they had my favorite, white chocolate mousse cake. It was not the same as in the past, not a fault but a disappointment. The formula must have been changed or it reflected the style of a new pastry chef.

Edited by viejo majadero (log)

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Rosie

Ref: Sienna

I told you this area is "Culinary Hell!!!!"

Ref: Manor

Thanks, while I did not challenge Bonoms rating when I thought it was 2.5 I still feel the Record reviews are wanting when you compare restaurants at the same star level.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Rosie

Other than Rosemary and Sage in Riverdale

this is what I mean by Culinary Hell.

But, a stranger to the place would be treated extremely well, and I would have a more personal experience. 

For that kind of money every diner should have "a more personal experience." No excuses

"I was surprised at the Bonom comment about waiting 10 minutes to be acknowledged.  Maybe it felt like 10 minutes?"

No, it was 10 minutes. I checked my watch when we walked up to the podium. It would be poor reporting to write that I waited 10 minutes had I not.

David Bonom

Edited by Nockerl (log)

Okay, John's Shanghai is at least decent, but that review is a bit glowier than it deserves.  It's good in comparison to the endless legion of crappy cantonese places, but 3 "diamonds"?  :blink:  Kinara, the Indian restaurant in the same mall is 3, but not John's.

Not to mention it is not even in the same league as China 46, another Shanghainese restaurant which I beleive also got 3 diamonds.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My original commentary to Nockerl was pulled by Rosie.

What I wrote was satire but Rosie can make that call.

First, I did not know Knockerl was really Bonom. I do not wish to belabor the time issue as I have eaten at the Manor many times more than Nockerl and can only conclude it was an aberation, and he rightly so made issue of it.

But the issue raised by Nockerl "" For that kind of money every diner should have "a more personal experience." No excuses."" warrents comment.

First I clearly wrote "a stranger to the place would be treated extremely well," not sure how much more than extremely well Nockerl expects. My having a more personal experience means I know the players personally and obviously Nockerl does not.

Second, I do not understand the " for that kind of money comment". Is Nockerl suggesting that the quality of service is based on pricing? At $50.00 a head I get --A-- service but at $35.00 only --B Minus?

If Nockerl is in the mood could you please add your opinion of the Manor's wine list. There was no mention in your review.

Thanks

Viejo

Quote Nockerl

(viejo majadero @ Apr 26 2003, 08:29 AM)

But, a stranger to the place would be treated extremely well, and I would have a more personal experience.

Nockerl

For that kind of money every diner should have "a more personal experience." No excuses

QUOTE Viejo

"I was surprised at the Bonom comment about waiting 10 minutes to be acknowledged. Maybe it felt like 10 minutes?"

Nockerl

No, it was 10 minutes. I checked my watch when we walked up to the podium. It would be poor reporting to write that I waited 10 minutes had I not.

David Bonom

Edited by Rosie

Edited by viejo majadero (log)

I've been to Rosemary & Sage three times, and I've been pleased with each visit in varying degrees. I've discussed it here. I was a little surprised wth Mr Bonom's review, too, although I don't question that was his experience, and that's what he has to write.

Of course, if we really believed in de gustibus non disputandum esse (in matters of taste, there should be no disputing) eGullet would miss most of its most spectacular wars and critics would become PR flaks :biggrin:

Is it the best restaurant in the world, or even NJ? No.

Is it the best restaurant in Morris County? I'd put it in the top 10 I've visited, along with An American Place, Serenade, Scalini, Kyoto, etc, adjusting for price to value.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I do not wish to belabor the time issue as I have eaten at the Manor many times more than Nockerl and can only conclude it was an aberation, and he rightly so made issue of it.

From your post it sounds as if I have definitely not frequented the Manor as often you have. I'm glad that you frequent the Manor and have very positive experiences. Unfortunately, the experience I had over several visits was consistenly not at the level that warranted 4 stars like it garnered in its last review and as you noted I reported it.

Second, I do not understand the " for that kind of money comment".  Is Nockerl suggesting that the quality of service is based on pricing?  At $50.00 a head I get  --A-- service but at $35.00 only --B Minus?

Not at all. But if more restaurants subscribed to the "Danny Meyer Hospitality Philosophy" then there would be no need to say how you would have a more personal experience while I or anyone else less known to the staff would be treated extremely well and not made to feel "as welcome." What it comes down to is that I am not discounting that regulars are "known" but that my $150 check should buy me just as good an experience as your $150 check. This goes for a restaurant that charges $10, $15 or $20 an entree. It's about Hospitality.

undefinedIf Nockerl is in the mood could you please add your opinion of the Manor's wine list.  There was no mention in your review.

Record Policy is that we do not review restaurants based on wine lists since there are so many BYO's and it would be an unfair handicap to those without (i.e. lack of wine service, etc.)