• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold weather drinking

Wilfrid

Should light or dark rum be used?

If your question is in regard to the Hot Buttered Rum - I usually have dark rum on hand, so that's what I use. But I've made it with all kinds and it's very, very good. Warming and smooth and almost silky on your tongue.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

What does to "mull" mean?

Is that referring to the butter?  Or just to warming something?

Mulling means to simmer something with spices... as in "mulled wine" and "mulled cider."

And I hope I'm right. When you venture an opinion with a crowd as informed as this, you are often proved wrong literally within seconds.

But this is what I have always understood it to mean.

The spices generally used are the ones you might think of as "pumpkin pie" spices. For my mulled wine and cider, I usually take an orange or a lemon and stud it with cloves, and also drop in some cinnamon sticks, a little allspice and some nutmeg.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

At home: An Old Fashioned with Maker's Mark and an extra dash of bitters.

At a couple of Toledo's restaurants with decent prices on Remy Martin: A Perfect Remy Manhattan served up. A chilled glass is preferred, but I don't ask for that, unless I'm at the bar.

Sam

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

• 2 weeks later...

Another version of Hot Buttered Rum...tried last night :raz: ....

1/2 lb. salted butter

1 lb. brown sugar

1 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ground white cardomom

1 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Place in food processor and pulse until well blended.

Store in refrigerator or freezer.

Place 1-2 Tbsp. mix in mug...and good pour dark rum and fill with boiling water or cider...(I had a squeeze of lemon juice to mine when made with water)

• 2 years later...
Another version of Hot Buttered Rum...tried last night :raz: ....

1/2 lb. salted butter

1 lb. brown sugar

1 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ground white cardomom

we're considering serving these for a first cocktail sort of thing before our winter wedding....as a guess, how many do you think this size batch would serve? thanks!

I make a drink with rye, Ginger of the Indies liqueur, pommeau du normandie, orange bitters, lemon zest and apple juice. Heated in a snifter. Great for warding off colds in brisk fall weather. I have regulars that come in just for that if they feel like they're coming down with something.

Or spiced rum, mint, lemon, star anise, cinamon stick, hot water in irish coffe cup.

Have gotten rave reviews for both....

I do appreciate a good hot buttered rum and I don't know if I'm dating myself (used to a lot of that in high school), but a Tom and Jerry makes for a damn good cold weather drink. A couple of Christmases ago, I was at my folks place in Upper Michigan and we went to an neighbor's party. She's in her nineties and not much taller than 4 feet and used to own one of the town bars so me made some pretty kick-ass Tom and Jerrys. She was a hoot, every two weeks she would move all of her furniture and vacuum every nook and cranny. It was enjoying to listen to her bitch about the new owners who use "those damn frozen fries, in my day we made the fries fresh!"

MMMMMAAGGGG(LIKE HOMER SIMPSON) Tom and Jerrys! Did anyone else get to have the Tom and Jerrys last yeqar during the big blizzard @ Bemelmens? Wow, I'm pretty sure it's whats served to the Gods on Olympus when it's too chilly for ambrosia. I's good that it is so labor intensive. If one could just whip up a batch in a heartbeat they wouldn't be such a treat.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE