• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Food Gifts You've Ever Received

This is an excellent question; it really made me think.

As far as edibles are concerned, I'd have to say the perfect snickerdoodles that my mom used to send me each Christmas ranks as one of the best thins I've ever gotten. I'd eat them in one sitting, and they're the gold standard I aspire to when making them myself.

As far as non-edibles are concerned, last Christmas I received both Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child et al (from my husband) and The German Cookbook by Mimi Sheraton (from my mother in law). I almost cried with joy.

Homemade Plum Jam

Homemade Limoncello.

But I think the best gift was Homejarred Tomatoes from a family in Brooklyn. Oh and homemade salami from that same family. To die for....Miss it.

My favorite food gift is the tin of cookies I got from my mom at christmas every year. I don't get them anymore since mom is gone but they'll still always be my favorite food gift. I'd force myself to dole them out carefully so they weren't gone too fast. I miss those cookies... not as much as I miss mom, but I do miss them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Edible: Yoonhi's forcing me to go to Thailand against my will, and then my first meal in-Kingdom You can never go back after that.

Inedible: Yoonhi's last gift to me of a magnetic induction tabletop unit, which has opened up a whole world of hot pots and stir fries for a boy who's challenged by electric grills.

If a non-food, but food-related gift counts, it is the olive wood cutting board my sister hand carried back from Italy for my 51st birthday. It's so beautiful it resides on the counter, and I could hardly bring myself to use it.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"