• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for one

beansnrice

For all the singles, bachelors and bachelorettes....

How do you stock your fridge or freezer, and pantry?

It's hard buying for just one person. It's hard to get variety, and I find myself eating broccoli or baby spinach everyday for an entire day!

I've started freezing things I bake, and that's helped.

SO, how do y'all incorporate variety while trying to eat fresh at the same time?

Good question.

When I lived alone I often shopped at the bulk food place -- purchase the amount I want, good price, no packaging.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

It's just the wife and I here so we buy meat and vacpac it in single serving portions. I usually wrap each portion and pack several into a large bag. I try to make sure that the bag can be opened a serving removed and the bag resealed.

Fruits and vegies we buy what we need. I also keep several kinds of frozen vegies on hand and only cook what we need for the meal. We don't use too many canned things but keep some things on hand.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.