• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jean Georges and Nougatine 2009 & Beyond

sickchangeup

Moderator's Note: This topic has been split off from the original Jean Georges topic, started in 2005. That topic may be found by clicking here.

The hard to comprehend $8 lunchtime supplement on the Scallops is now a thing of the past apparently. Instead it looked like you got a little less scallop, like a single scallop cut into threes. Still, nice to see it gone!

Specials today were the crunchy bunny & the uni with black bread and jalapeno, two dinner menu stalwarts.

Dad was in town, and I can report (since someone complained that we never discuss the wine here) that we asked our host to pair each of his three entrees with a full glass (6oz) of wine. The foie went with the Reisling Kabinet ($15), the Scallops went with a Loire Valley Chanin Blanc ($22) and the Skate/Chalon went with a California Chardonnay ($20). My dad found the pairings interesting to some extent, but wasn't impressed like he was with the food.

The halibut replacement with the mushrooms is now on the printed menu, and although I agree with Bryan that the flavor of the herbs overwhelms in short order, this was the winner with my dad & wife. Different strokes...

Then again, none of us really understood the Kampachi Sashimi with micro-planed pecans (the waitress called them crystalized). Seemed like a perfectly good way to get in the way of a great piece of sashimi.

Tuna, Foie and Skate were amazing as always.

First time having a cheese course as well, $24 for 3 cheeses, we chose one goat, one sheep & one cow from an impressive selection. They serve this with a generous and delicious portion of macerated stone fruits, walnut pieces and a dark raisin/nut bread.

I may also be turning the corner on dessert, need a few more visits before I can tell for sure though. "The Winter" (cinnamon doughnut hole with armangac jam & cranberry parfait/tart with vanilla meringue) was... well... it was very good!

Crunchy Rabbit, Soybean Puree, Spot of Fermented Chili Paste

gallery_61507_6225_3423.jpg

What do you mean by "specials"?  Were they listed on the menu as such, verbally recited?  I've never encountered this.

Verbally recited. It's possible she said "we have two additions to the menu", but I seem to recall "we have two specials today" for some reason.

I had lunch at jean georges on saturday as well and was told about the two additions when I sat down at the bar. This is the first time in 7+ years of eating at j.g that they had additions to the lunch menu. Although, both dishes are standard on the jean georges dinner menu. I had the "crunchy bunny" (love that name) and found it less spicy than on previous visits.

Edited by sethd (log)

I had the "crunchy bunny" (love that name) and found it less spicy than on previous visits.

You keep calling it that. Is that what THEY called it too?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I had the "crunchy bunny" (love that name) and found it less spicy than on previous visits.

You keep calling it that. Is that what THEY called it too?

lol, no they call it "Crunchy Rabbit, Citrus-Chili Paste and Soybean Puree" on their website anyways.

Edited by sickchangeup (log)

BTW, once we had successfully covered the non-veggie dishes on the menu at least once, me and my wife came to the conclusion that if you HAD to stick to 2 dishes, and were going for the most filling combination, while still not completely ignoring the quality/flavor of the dish, we settled on the Tuna Ribbons (generous portion, stunning visually, stunning taste wise) & the Confit Leg of Chicken (huge portion, very tasty) as the best quality, quantity and overall in sticking with a quasi-traditional app/entree combo on the menu.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever witnessed the table side pineapple carving show? The GM (apparently JG's brother, Philippe (sp?) Vongerichten) took center stage in the middle of the room at lunch today, and starting with a whole untouched pineapple, proceeded to spend about 15 minutes peeling it, then slowly rotating/carving it with a pairing knife (so as to remove all the eyes using multiple fancy diagonal cuts), then cored it and sliced three little slices for the VIP's who sat there very amused. Apparently it's finished off with a drizzle of honey and some sort of sugar sprinkle. Was quite the show, the GM was quite graceful in wrestling with it. Definitely reminded me of showmanship I might expect in Paris, but have not come to expect at JG.

As for lunch, the $8 supplement on the scallops were back the past two visits, so apparently they thought better of removing that. There was once again a special, and one again it was the crunchy rabbit. Had the egg for the first time, which was very generously topped and then also filled with caviar, which I didn't expect. Was very very good, but not sure I feel a burning desire to repeat the experience at the extra cost. Service was unusually sloppy with the exception of one bus boy who very vigilantly refilled our ice-teas and simple syrup. The runners and the captain were just dropping food and sauces off diner style, one empty "holding" plate (I had one extra course than my wife) literally rattled around for a while before settling down. The pour on the halibut was done so quickly it knocked mushrooms off the fish and entirely diluted a spot of the pre-plated sauce, no grace in sight. It was my first time with this captain, so maybe someone new.

The only other change I noticed in the menu was the sweetbreads are now being paired with sweet potato ravioli instead of licorice. Hopefully soon we move into spring time items.

Has anyone ever witnessed the table side pineapple carving show?  The GM (apparently JG's brother, Philippe (sp?) Vongerichten) took center stage in the middle of the room at lunch today, and starting with a whole untouched pineapple, proceeded to spend about 15 minutes peeling it, then slowly rotating/carving it with a pairing knife (so as to remove all the eyes using multiple fancy diagonal cuts), then cored it and sliced three little slices for the VIP's who sat there very amused.  Apparently it's finished off with a drizzle of honey and some sort of sugar sprinkle.  Was quite the show, the GM was quite graceful in wrestling with it.  Definitely reminded me of showmanship I might expect in Paris, but have not come to expect at JG.

back]

Yes, this awesome display of generosity was extended to me two years ago. You can see photos of the carving here.

If I recall correctly, Philippe Vongerichten, a consummate craftsman, made the trolley on which the pineapple was plated.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Those are great photos UE, I'm very jealous!  The photo where he is holding up the pineapple with two forks mid twirl definitely captures the most impressive part quite well.

Also, I recall seeing a photo of Philippe Vongerichten carving the pineapple in one of Jean Georges's cookbooks. A quick thumb through my collection yielded a black and white photo of (a much younger) Philippe working his magic on page 163 of "Jean-Georges: Cooking At Home with a Four-Star Chef."

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I ate lunch at J-G Mon. 3/16. It was our first time there. Service was friendly and impeccable. The $14/course menu was in effect, as mentioned in prior posts -- by far the most economical three-star meal I have ever ordered!

After an amuse with three elements -- a bit hamachi and chili oil, a guava/grapefruit juice (if I remember correctly), and a sort of celestial daikon "tater tot" over truffle cream -- we had nine dishes.

I have pix of these but unfortunately don't know how to upload them to this post.

First course: peekytoe crab dumplings in heavenly (lemongrass?) broth; tuna ribbons -- just as good as others have said. Glasses of excellent house Champagne.

Next, a shared dish of roast brussels sprouts, avocado, arugula, and pistachios. Another example of complementary flavors, really the mark of this meal.

Next course, we both had the fois gras brulee, one of my new desert island dishes. I asked the waitress to cancel the rest of my order and just bring more of this. She talked me out of it, but wow! Served with with lemon/grapefruit marmelade, which sounded terrible to me but again complemented the fois gras. A glass of off-dry Alsatian pinot gris (Blanck) paired well.

To follow, Kathe had roast veal and a glass of big Barolo, a wonderful combination since the veal had real flavor. I chose the butter-poached skate with Chalon sauce and a medley of vegetables on the top. My thanks to those who recommended this dish in earlier posts.

For dessert, we had the apple combination and the "winter" combination. The pastry elements of these were the highlights.

The only thing I actively disliked was the post-dessert housemade marshmallows, but then I don't like marshmallows in any form. The chocolates were nice, and the coffee was notably high quality, not a given in any level of restaurant in my opinion.

All in all, 2-1/2 hours of bliss, I wish I could get to NYC more often. I've eaten in 15-20 Michelin 3-stars, and in my book J-G deserves its rating.

My wife and I ate lunch at J-G Mon. 3/16. It was our first time there. Service was friendly and impeccable. The $14/course menu was in effect, as mentioned in prior posts -- by far the most economical three-star meal I have ever ordered!

After an amuse with three elements -- a bit hamachi and chili oil, a guava/grapefruit juice (if I remember correctly), and a sort of celestial daikon "tater tot" over truffle cream -- we had nine dishes.

I have pix of these but unfortunately don't know how to upload them to this post.

First course: peekytoe crab dumplings in heavenly (lemongrass?) broth; tuna ribbons -- just as good as others have said. Glasses of excellent house Champagne.

Next, a shared dish of roast brussels sprouts, avocado, arugula, and pistachios. Another example of complementary flavors, really the mark of this meal.

Next course, we both had the fois gras brulee, one of my new desert island dishes. I asked the waitress to cancel the rest of my order and just bring more of this. She talked me out of it, but wow! Served with with lemon/grapefruit marmelade, which sounded terrible to me but again complemented the fois gras. A glass of off-dry Alsatian pinot gris (Blanck) paired well.

To follow, Kathe had roast veal and a glass of big Barolo, a wonderful combination since the veal had real flavor.  I chose the butter-poached skate with Chalon sauce and a medley of vegetables on the top. My thanks to those who recommended this dish in earlier posts.

For dessert, we had the apple combination and the "winter" combination. The pastry elements of these were the highlights.

The only thing I actively disliked was the post-dessert housemade marshmallows, but then I don't like marshmallows in any form. The chocolates were nice, and the coffee was notably high quality, not a given in any level of restaurant in my opinion.

All in all, 2-1/2 hours of bliss, I wish I could get to NYC more often. I've eaten in 15-20 Michelin 3-stars, and in my book J-G deserves its rating.

Great report as to what is going on currently. I will be dining there in just over a week, so this was very helpful to me! Everything sounded delicious. Was there anything you felt was an absolute must try? I have never had foie before and was considering having here for the first time given JG's foie dishes are usually so highly regarded.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Has anyone here had the Parmesan chicken? I know of people who have had the confit of chicken, but not the Parmesan version.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Has anyone here had the Parmesan chicken?  I know of people who have had the confit of chicken, but not the Parmesan version.

Never mind, I see that they are the same.

"Parmesan Crusted Confit Leg of Chicken, Salsify, Basil and Lemon Butter"

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hello everyone,

I will be having lunch at JG next week, my one big splurge for my trip. I will be dining alone and was wondering is it best to sit in the main dining room or is there bar seating that offers the full menu? What is the best way to go?

Thanks for the advice.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Hello everyone,

I will be having lunch at JG next week, my one big splurge for my trip.  I will be dining alone and was wondering is it best to sit in the main dining room or is there bar seating that offers the full menu?  What is the best way to go?

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, they don't usually serve the main dining room menu at the bar. I have often sat in the main dining room as a single and have had wonderful experiences.

hmm.. I asked a couple of months ago if they served lunch at the bar and they gave me a very definite yes (might even be upthread, not sure). Having said that, the corner spots for 1 in the main dining room are very comfortable to sit at and enjoy a meal.

Are you sure they're being totally straight with you (or that you asked the exact right question)?  They do serve some form of "lunch" at the bar.  Just not the Jean Georges lunch.

Of course they serve lunch at the bar. It is usually from the nougatine menu, however.

Are you sure they're being totally straight with you (or that you asked the exact right question)?  They do serve some form of "lunch" at the bar.  Just not the Jean Georges lunch.

Of course they serve lunch at the bar. It is usually from the nougatine menu, however.

I definitely trust your word over what I thought I gleaned from a 5 second chat with a bartender.

edited to add: I called and they confirmed that only Nougatine food is served at the bar.

Edited by sickchangeup (log)

To follow, Kathe had roast veal and a glass of big Barolo, a wonderful combination since the veal had real flavor.  I chose the butter-poached skate with Chalon sauce and a medley of vegetables on the top. My thanks to those who recommended this dish in earlier posts.

Great report as to what is going on currently. I will be dining there in just over a week, so this was very helpful to me! Everything sounded delicious. Was there anything you felt was an absolute must try? I have never had foie before and was considering having here for the first time given JG's foie dishes are usually so highly regarded.

#1 must-try is foie gras, next would be whatever fish dish appeals to you.