• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry, stringy butt

conor610

So I braised a 1.5-lb piece of pork butt yesterday in a beer-apple cider mixture with a bunch of root vegetables, etc. This was in an enameled cast iron dutch oven, and it was in the oven for 2 hours at ~300*F, which I thought would be far too little time to properly braise, but when I checked the meat it was already dried out and tasteless, as well as falling apart. So, it seems to have overcooked. Given that the liquid was not at a full boil for those 2 hours (I checked), how could it have overcooked in so little time?

[Edited for typo]

Edited by conor610 (log)

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

I dont think I have cooked anything smaller than 5 pounds ...often up to 9 or 10

It will all actually taste better reheated gently the next day if that help any

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hmm...that may have been the problem. Apart from a strip of fatty meat on one side, it didn't seem to have as much fat as I expected, but I've never cooked butt before, so I guess I just figured one was the same as any other.

In terms of size, I knew it was pretty small, but I figured that the connective tissue needed plenty of time, regardless.

Anyway, lesson learned: bigger, fattier butts. Heh heh.

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians