• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A year of a deer.

sjemac

95% of deer flavor is in the care and preparation BEFORE butchering. . . .

. . . applies to so many things.

That's some very handsome venison carpaccio. Has it been warmed beyond room temps while drying?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this long-dormant topic to ask a question.

A friend gifted us with a loin from a deer he shot. It's been vacuum sealed and in our freezer for a few months now. We've thawed it, and are thinking of cooking it sous vide. I've seen the charts in Modernist Cuisine and other advice here for cooking venison, but I'm not sure (a) if those numbers apply to domestic venison or (b) if you need to do anything different with the wild kind.

What would you do with it? Is there a better way than sous vide?

Thanks,

MelissaH

(at least the fifth generation of city dwellers in my family)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I have cooked venison loin SV using the times findable here on eG, given it a quick sear,and served it with a cranberry infused beef demiglace. Really delicious.

What would you do with it? Is there a better way than sous vide?

If you're wanting to serve a whole/half roast, dust it with paprika, wrap in plastic wrap over night. Unwrap, let sit to room temp. Salt the roast with kosher salt. Sear in a HOT pan until nicely browned on one side and then flip roast. Now scatter around the skillet a sprig or two of rosemary, a couple of whole crushed garlic cloves (w/ skins still on), a few thin lemons slices and a big dab of butter. As the butter melts into the rosemary/garlic/lemon, quickly tilt the pan and continually baste the roast with the butter as the other side browns. Place the lemon slices on top of the roast and then rest the rosemary and garlic on top of the lemon and slide the whole thing into the oven until desired temp is reached, basting every few minutes. Rest, slice into 1/4 medallions. I think i adapted this from an AdHoc recipe for TripTip.

If you're not afraid to cut it up, a great method is to slice it into medallions and pound it into thin "scallopini". Marinate in a buttermilk/paprika/salt for an hour or so, dredge in flour and shallow fry in oil.

Edited by Crouton (log)