• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck, duck...err Goose?

Lupinus

So this year I will be preparing an early Christmas dinner next weekend.

As we'll be having Turkey on Christmas day at the future grandparents in law, I wanted to do something a little different. Something I haven't done before.

A roasted goose.

What could be the problem you ask? I have never in my life cooked a goose. I have cooked chickens of course, and make a mean duck (though it's been a while). Never, ever, laid knife on a goose though.

I've looked around for some recipes online and think I found enough to get me started.

Wanted to see if you fine folk had any recipes of your own? Tips and tricks? Will my duck skills translate to ye ol Christmas Goose?

I have only one piece of advice (and even this may be unnecessary given that you've done duck before): Don't forget the fat! Pull out any fat that remains inside the cavity and render it. Part way through the roasting, pour the accumulated fat out of the roasting pan and strain it. It'll keep for quite a while in the fridge. It's the best stuff in the world for roasting potatoes (and other things, of course).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Is goose served medium/rare like duck? What's the internal temperature I'm looking for?

I know it can be overdone: I've done that. Would like to avoid that this year.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

. . . . Tips and tricks? Will my duck skills translate to ye ol Christmas Goose?

Turkey is to chicken what goose is to duck -- same technique, just bigger.

I like to steam a goose on the stove before roasting. Prick the skin all over, cover and steam. Fat weeps out from under the skin and collects on the simmering water below. Fast and tidy.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Nifty idea Peter, I've done that with a quartered and brined duck before and it was awesome.

What sort of time would I be looking at per pound if steaming?

I always use a probe thermometer for the final determination but like to know roughly how long it'll take.

Nifty idea Peter, I've done that with a quartered and brined duck before and it was awesome.

What sort of time would I be looking at per pound if steaming?

I always use a probe thermometer for the final determination but like to know roughly how long it'll take.

I'd have to look it up -- it's not long. The breasts and legs are still quite uncooked when it goes in the hot oven. A mid-size goose needs less than a half hour to move most of that subcutaneous fat outward. It's a matter of warming up the first 1/4", so bird weight isn't as important as bird fattiness.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack