• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with fat from broth/stock

jtraceynj

Making risotto today for dad's birthday, and so the usual $37 stockpot of delicious meat brodo is ready to be defatted and used.

My question is: Must that disgusting layer of fat be thrown out, or is that like throwing out gold? Would it be gross to save for cooking, say, potatoes? Should I be ashamed of myself for even asking?

The fat is mixed with all kinds of dross from the proteins and such.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

After carefully straining the fat, Ive found it quite usable as schmalz for latkes and such. The trick has been to not add to much clovey type of herbs to the stock that flavor the fat and tend to sully things with off flavors.

I"ve used 25 pound cubes of rendered chicken fat, rendered my own and used this skimmed fat. For those select uses (Latkes primarily), I haven't found any problem. This is just my experience, YMMV.

BTW, don't use the crud that you periodically skim form the stock during cooking. Jin is correct, this stuff is gnarly. Use the stuff from the top of the cooled stock after it's strained and cooled.

Nick

Nick--how would you go about straining?

Cheesecloth, chinois mousseline.

The stuff comes out crystal clear. As I said, I don't use the stuff ladled off the top during the cooking process. Rather the disc that floats to the top and congeals upon chilling, is removed and any bits clinging to the bottom of the disc are scraped off. Melt strain again and it should be ready for use.

To my mind there shouldn't be anything more in the fat than there would be in the stock itself. Flavors from herbs or mire-poix are another thing so from a flavor standpoint the fats used would be restricted.

Nick