• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

need suggestions for a different turkey

aliénor

my son who lives in southern france, is making a thanksgiving dinner next weekend for expat friends and their spouses. i have sent him lots of ideas and urls but now he is asking the following,

< do you know any recipes (good ones) for a turkey done japanese style? is there such a thing?

or maybe cantonese turkey?????>

can anyone help him or is he just a few degrees off center.

seriously, he would love some ideas to work with. it has been a tradition, for many years, for him to do an american t-day dinner, but obviously he is tired of the usual and traditional and wants to break out of the mold.

how about it- any suggestions.......

Don't know if this is 'different' enough, but if you go here you will find an illustrated post on how to do an de constructed turkey.

Great recipe, delicious and different.

Sorry, the link isn't very precise. You need to go to November 2007 to find the 2 posts referred to.

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

Here's a bona fide Cantonese style roast turkey from a real Cantonese-American (me):

In a plastic bag, marinate a turkey with:

1/2 cup thin soy sauce

1/2 cup honey

chopped garlic

chopped ginger

Refrigerate for 3 days, rotating once each day.

Remove turkey from the marinade, place on a rack in roasting pan filled with 1 cup of water, and bake at 250 deg F until internal temperature reaches 160 deg F, rotating once halfway.

Every half hour brush with drippings and a mixture consisting of:

honey

dark soy sauce

oil

Edited by sheetz (log)

Good find, Rona! This is one of those 'why didn't I think of it?' recipes. I'm definitely cooking something along these lines for the holidays. Turkey doesn't figure much in Asian cooking, but '8 Treasure Duck' is a classic Chinese dish, and it should adapt well to turkey.

Just found this similar recipe from Ming Tsai:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ming-ts...cipe/index.html

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Good find, Rona! This is one of those 'why didn't I think of it?' recipes. I'm definitely cooking something along these lines for the holidays. Turkey doesn't figure much in Asian cooking, but '8 Treasure Duck' is a classic Chinese dish, and it should adapt well to turkey.

Just found this similar recipe from Ming Tsai:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ming-ts...cipe/index.html

I hope it tastes as good as it looks on paper!

I think I finally found the NYTimes article. I was a little off--it was Vietnamese-influenced, not Chinese. If this link to the article doesn't work, the title is "AMERICA CELEBRATES: HUNTINGTON BEACH, CALIF.; Add a Little Vietnam, France and California, and Mix" by AMANDA HESSER, published: November 15, 2000. It should pop up if one searches the NYTimes archive (though free registration is required to search, I think).

The recipes are for Shiitake and Lotus Seed Stuffing and a Brined Roast Turkey (lots of stuff in the brine).

Try deboning the raw breasts. Cover with saran wrap or a large piece of plastic and pound them out into about 1/4" thick rectangles.

Make a stuffing of bread crumbs (Panko), crimini, portabella, fennel seed (ground fresh), rosemary, S&P and some turkey stock (or chicken stock), and crispy bacon chopped roughly.

Layer the stuffing (at room temperature) into the breasts and roll them up like pinwheels. Tie with several loops of string (cooking type string) or use turkey pins.

Brown on all sides, put in large pan, add more turkey stock to about 3/4 the height of the "roulades". Bake until 180 internal temperature (I'm remembering the temperature by rote, check to be sure what is a good temperature for turkey).

Remove the cooked roulades and tent. Make a sauce of the pan juices by adding flour and whisking (there should be plenty of fat to make a roux just by adding the flour). Add more seasoning (S&P) if required.

Serve by slicing the roulades and spoon over with some of the sauce.

Then, roast the rest of the carcass. Pick off all the meat when cool. Freeze and use later for sandwiches or turkey salad or whatever.

Place removing carcass and bones back in the oven and roast to a nice brown. Add some mirepoix and brown that too (about 2/3 of the way into making the bones brown, or remove the browned bones and add the mirepoix to the pan).

Put the bones and mirepoix in a stock pot, add cold water and a bouquet garni (or sachet d'spice) and simmer gently for about 4-5 hours. Freeze or can the resultant turkey stock ( to use during the year and for the next Thanksgiving).

doc