• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Roast Potato Cook Off

Tonyfinch

Spuds=Carbs=Death

S

A noble death.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

After doing potatos in both goose fat and lard (not at the same time though), I think I have to say that the goose fat wins. Though said goose fat had also been used to confit rabbit, so there may have been some taste carry over which gave it an unfair advantage :wink:

If that so happens to be smothered by a strippers t**s then so be it.

Death by carbs sounds infinitely preferable to that

All my worries about Tony are confirmed

back on subject, in the days when I did eat this crap ( The Oblivion Years as I intend to call them in my biog "Pensee" ) the best way to cook them was in a mix of Ghee and sunflower oil with a good dash of salt and pepper

S

in the days when I did eat this crap

Simon,we are talking about potatoes here. Good old inoffensive potatoes.

They may = carb but they don't =crap

Simon's obviously sorely tempted by delicious roasted potatoes and repeating his mantra helps him resist :biggrin:

The tension in mounting - the match day is getting near.......

The pick up has been arranged - TF and SF shall purchase the potatoes together from Waitrose Paddock Wood, Kent, U.K.

My suggestion would be that TF brings his Pet Olive, as my Goosey is getting himself ready in the fridge :wink:

To join our spuds will be Tunbridge Wells Farmers Market fare that I shall purchase on Saturday - Good veggies and a rib of beef that will have been hung for 3-4 weeks

We have a possible judge, but we will get back to you on that :cool::cool::cool:

Must go.....off to coach my goose fat

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cook off is over! Dinner is complete..................

The competition was cleanly and honourably fought. Competitors chose a Maris Piper from Waitrose and both Sam and Tony used similar methods of par boiling before basting with chosen fat.

Competition for oven space was fierce but fair in the end. Both sets of potatoes were very crunchy whilst maintaining a fluffy interior.

Big difference was flavour. The goose fat had a distinctive taste as I'm sure everyone suspected. Tony peppered his potatoes after par boiling as well as salting which certainly increased their flavour.

Result comes down to personal preference of flavour as both methods created very good roasties. So we settled on an honourable draw.

Both sets of potatoes were demolished amongst a spread of Rib Beef, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, swede, peas and yorkshires and a fine time has been had by all, in fact so fine Tony is snoring away in a chair as we speak

:biggrin:

Well and nobly done.

Will there be photos?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I was actually invited to be the judge of todays festivities but I had a prior engagament at the Fat Duck. I thought at this point, with Heston reading the site and all, that he pinched the recipes off the thread to serve them at the restaurant. So I figured I would try and order them at lunch.

"Tony who? Finch? We are serving partrdge today sir, not finch. And Friar? Sorry sir, this is lunch. Church was this morning sir."

They brought me mash instead.

Jinmyo, photos have been taken so we'll try to get them on.

Macrosan, we were always struggling without a neutral judge, and to be fair both were very good. I don't think it's appropriate for me to judge a winner :wink:

Steve, I hope The Fat Duck was worth it, you missed a spectacle :wink:

In all seriousness.... :wink::wink::wink:

Today was a pleasure, and I consider it an honour (or honor for the U.S.) :wink: to be classed as an equal in the Spud contest to Finchy. His roasties were scrummy! And hats off too to Sainsbury's (not that Jamie Bloke) because they supplied the 6.5lb rib of beef which cooked very well. Once again, nice and crisp on the outside but softly pink/red on the inside :smile:

All veggies were supplied by our local farm shop.

Dessert was an apple crumble with custard which Tony has promised to do a post about, but lets just say that it was a tad embarrassing when Fahro grabbed Tony and said "stop licking the plate".

Lot's of champagne, wine and port was enjoyed by all.

God, I'm knackered!! :raz::rolleyes::raz::rolleyes: