• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gujarati Food

Suvir Saran

I am hoping Ajay, Anil or Spicegirldc or someone else that has any knowledge about Gujarati food would share with us what makes it Unique from other cuisines.

What amazes me is that even though Gujarat has neighboring states with a very different style of food, it has maintained its own very unique and clean identity.

What dishes should one know when thinking of Gujarati food?

What restaurants around the world do you visit to eat this states food?

“Sugar and Spice and everything vegetarian” – I think that sums up the cuisine for me!! It is a simple delightful cuisine that uses vegetables in a remarkable way

Situated on the western coast of India, Gujarat is paradise for vegetarians. Leafy green vegetables, fruits, millet, rice and lentils dominate this simple cuisine. Millet is said to be very high in protein. Butter and milk used abundantly. The Gujaratis are known for their wide variety of pickles and chutneys. “Farsan” or crispy fried snacks are a staple part of the cuisine. Gujaratis have a sweet tooth! . Many parts of the state use sugar liberally in cooking (including in dals, and rice..). Food is traditionally served on large steel plates or Thalis.

The cuisine has been greatly influenced by the Jains and the Buddhists. A little known secret, a group of Muslims known as Bohras, who live here, prepare the most delicious meat dishes.

When I think of Gujarati food, I must admit I am partial to the dhokla, a salty steamed cake made from chickpea flour tempered with mustard seeds, fragrant curry leaves and green chillies. It is delicious particularly with a well made cilantro or green Chilli chutney

In NYC, I think VATAN is a superb Gujarati restaurant (409 Third Ave. (at 29th St.), New York, NY 10016; (212) 689-5666 ) A friend told me about Jhupdi, in Edison, offers authentic Gujarati food

:smile:

The cuisine has been greatly influenced by the Jains and the Buddhists.  A little known secret, a group of Muslims known as Bohras, who live here, prepare the most delicious meat dishes.

I have shared a couple of Bohra recipes. One for chicken and one for lamb.

What are your favorite Bohra dishes? Recipes???

spicegirldc has (quite lyrically, I might add) captured the essence of Gujrati cuisine, so I thought I might report on my favorite Gujrati dishes:

shrikhand (not limited to Gujrat, but a specialty of the state) a rich dessert made with hung milk (i.e. all of the water is removed).

khandvi a light appetizer made out of besan, right Suvir? At its best, it is ehtereal.

Undhiyu (mixed vegetables).

Suvir, can you post a link to the Bohra recipes? I had never heard of this sect before. But since the rest of the family is vegetarian, I'm afraid i will have to attempt these dishes on my own, but I look forward to the challenge. :laugh:

Suvir, can you post a link to the Bohra recipes?  I had never heard of this sect before.  But since the rest of the family is vegetarian, I'm afraid i will have to attempt these dishes on my own, but I look forward to the challenge. :laugh:

My cookbook will have the Bohra recipes...

Can you wait?

Or if you want to try them sooner.. PM me.. and I shall mail you the recipes...

I think we have chatted briefly about Bohra food in the Keema thread... I will check and post a link.

spicegirldc has (quite lyrically, I might add) captured the essence of Gujrati cuisine

Spicegirldc was most eloquent... And now I wait for more such outbursts from her. I am hoping she will not be bashful... but instead... will continue to charm us more frequently with her brilliance.

I thought I might report on my favorite Gujrati dishes:

shrikhand (not limited to Gujrat, but a specialty of the state) a rich dessert made with hung milk (i.e. all of the water is removed).

khandvi a light appetizer made out of besan, right Suvir?  At its best, it is ehtereal.

Shrikhand - yummy! I also love Amrakhand (made with mango). I ate a small dish of this daily when I lived in Bombay. Some days I ate 2-3 servings... I loved it.. perfect for that cities weather... and in the summer of NYC.

Khandvi.... Not many dishes in the world have the capacity to take one on a journey that can give one freedom from any mortal worries. Khandvi is one of a handful of such dishes... If made well and fresh, it is superlative. I have enjoyed it made in homes of Gujarati friends in Bombay and also in a couple of restaurants in Bombay.. How I wish we could have in our midst in the US a professional Khandvi maker that can supply us this amazing dish in a public setting.. I would be there daily to buy a large batch.

And yes it is made with Besan (chickpea flour). The flour is made into a batter, the batter is then cooked and spread into a thin layer while it is still piping hot. This is then topped with a tempered oil of spices and maybe even coconut.. and then rolled and then cut into pieces... and then topped again with the tempered oil.... I can eat amazing amounts of it.. and not stop....

It is my understanding that most of the bohri's are now concentrated not in Gujurat but in Mumbai and its surrounds. Yes, Bohri's share the common language (Gujurati). Some of the influences of Parsi cooking are to be seen in Bohri cooking too (or is it the other way around) namely, the usage of "saak" or "saag" as in Dansak (sp?)

Gujurati, both vegetarian hundus, and non-veg muslims - are well known for stuffing their guests with multi-course meals - Should there be even a hint of slim or trim person, it is interpreted as being under-nurishement i.e "sukara-che"

In mumbai, in my youth someof our neighbours used to bring us gujurati appetisers commonly grouped as Farsand (sp?) - Many of those are available at Dimple @ 30&Bwy.

anil

And farsaan is my favorite food from Gujarat.

And yes most Bohras are now in Bombay and some in Karachi. Some can be found also in Singapore, NYC, Toronto and Dallas.... But I am sure one could find families around the globe. But these are the larger groups.

Though it's been a while, I think that Dimple's farsan were the weakest aspect of their preparations. I think for high quality stuff, or at least that which suits my subjective tastes one needs to go to Jackson Heights to Rajbhog, an establishment run by Gujaratis.

Though it's been a while, I think that Dimple's farsan were the weakest aspect of their preparations.  I think for high quality stuff, or at least that which suits my subjective tastes one needs to go to Jackson Heights to Rajbhog, an establishment run by Gujaratis.

What do you like at Rajbhog? What farsan items are your favorite there?

What are your favorites at Dimple?

Is there a difference (besides linguistic) between besan and chana tsapit? Do they both mean chickpea flower?

Where can one get this "chana tsapit" ? Is it black gram flour ? That's the only thing I can think of that might be differet from the big blanco variety.

anil

Is there a difference (besides linguistic) between besan and chana tsapit? Do they both mean chickpea flower?

Where can one get this "chana tsapit" ? Is it black gram flour ? That's the only thing I can think of that might be differet from the big blanco variety.

My ex-boyfriend, born in Bombay, used to refer to chick pea flour as "chana tsapit" and that's what he would ask for in stores...I never heard him use "besan." He's a Marati speaker, if that's a clue...

And another example - when he and his family would talk about massaging babies with oil and chick pea flour, the would say "chana tsapit" also. Does "tsapit" just mean flour?

My ex-boyfriend, born in Bombay, used to refer to chick pea flour as "chana tsapit" and that's what he would ask for in stores...I never heard him use "besan."  He's a Marati speaker, if that's a clue...

And another example - when he and his family would talk about massaging babies with oil and chick pea flour, the would say "chana tsapit" also.  Does "tsapit" just mean flour?

No idea... It seems like they are referring to plain ole Besan.

Must be a Marathi word...

Sorry I am not much help here... Will see if I can ask friends from Bombay... but most I know speak Hindi, Gujarati or English. Bummer.

...I never heard him use "besan."  He's a Marati speaker, if that's a clue...

Could be, My marathi has become very rusty, so probably it implies "besan" :unsure:

And mine was never very good to begin with. One language I have had a very hard time learning or even wanting to learn... Not sure why.

But from what Nina describes its use as... I think it is Besan...