• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sorbitol - Where to find it?

David Israel

In Jean-Pierre Wybauw's most recent book (Fine Chocolates - Great Ganache Experience) many of the recipes call for Sorbitol. I've checked several places in the Seattle area--including a beer- and wine-making shop--but have not found any that carry Sorbitol. Does anyone have suggestions for where it can be purchased?

Also, I have found Xylitol - can this be substituted for Sorbitol?

Thanks for your help!

if you need it for chocolate ganaches/fillings you should definately use a non crystalliizing concoction thats sold by merck/ruth under the brand name "karion f" its speciallly formulated to bind as much free water as possible while keeping the filling soft you find it here (or at you local ruth dealer ;-)

---) http://www.ruth-online.de/der-grosse-ruth-...7C+Zusatzstoffe

since we use that stuff our emulsion are XXX strong. our chocolates survived a room temp. of 28 celsius without melting or sinking :-)

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

• 2 weeks later...
instead of sorbitol you can also use glycerol (add 3-5 % of total ingredients weight), it has even double the free water binding ability of sorbitol...

cheers

t.

Liquid glycerol i.e. glycerine?