• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandarinism -- Seriously Good

chileheadmike

I went to Mandarinism for lunch. It bills itself as Contemporary Chinese. It’s located at 135 & Roe in Uber-JoCo, which scared me a little. This ain’t the ‘Dotte, and it ain’t Taco Nazzo. Kudos to the ladies next to me who asked if anything was spicy, and then proceeded to order both items and request extra hot. (Salt and Pepper Shrimp and Kung Pao Chicken). Nice place, small, has a full bar with wines, beers, and spirits. The lunch menu included some interesting apps, Peking Duck Eggrolls and an assortment of dumplings. No Crab Rangoon here.

I had the slow braised short rib with fried rice and stir fried vegetables. You have your choice of salad or velvety corn soup. I had the soup, which was a little bland. It had good corn flavor and pieces of good ham in it, but lacked salt. Some pepper would have been nice too. Then the main entre came out. It looked like Mom’s roast beef with fried rice subbed for the mashed taters. Stir fried veggies were actually peas and carrots, really good peas and carrots. The short ribs were fantastic, super tender and with sauce that was flavored with ginger and five spice powder. Some grilled green onion and dried chiles were added as well. I took smaller and smaller bites as I finished up so I’d have some left for as long as possible. This was the best meal I’ve had in a long time. The fried rice went perfectly with the meat and sauce. This was like good old fashioned pot roast that took a detour through Beijing. Seriously, seriously good eats. I highly recommend it. Its not cheap at $13 with iced tea and before tip, but its worth every penney.

Pitch review here: http://www.pitch.com/2008-08-28/restaurant...d-chinese-food/

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I went to Mandarinism for lunch. It bills itself as Contemporary Chinese. It’s located at 135 & Roe in Uber-JoCo, which scared me a little. This ain’t the ‘Dotte, and it ain’t Taco Nazzo. Kudos to the ladies next to me who asked if anything was spicy, and then proceeded to order both items and request extra hot. (Salt and Pepper Shrimp and Kung Pao Chicken).  Nice place, small, has a full bar with wines, beers, and spirits.    The lunch menu included some interesting apps, Peking Duck Eggrolls and an assortment of dumplings. No Crab Rangoon here.

I had the slow braised short rib with fried rice and stir fried vegetables. You have your choice of salad or velvety corn soup. I had the soup, which was a little bland. It had good corn flavor and pieces of good ham in it, but lacked salt. Some pepper would have been nice too.  Then the main entre came out. It looked like Mom’s roast beef with fried rice subbed for the mashed taters. Stir fried veggies were actually peas and carrots, really good peas and carrots. The short ribs were fantastic, super tender and with sauce that was flavored with ginger and five spice powder. Some grilled green onion and dried chiles were added as well. I took smaller and smaller bites as I finished up so I’d have some left for as long as possible. This was the best meal I’ve had in a long time. The fried rice went perfectly with the meat and sauce. This was like good old fashioned pot roast that took a detour through Beijing. Seriously, seriously good eats. I highly recommend it. Its not cheap at $13 with iced tea and before tip, but its worth every penney.

Pitch review here: http://www.pitch.com/2008-08-28/restaurant...d-chinese-food/

I agree with Charles more often than not. BTW, LC reviewed this restaurant this week as well. It amuses me how often that happens. But I digress. If it was good enough that it got you to actually slow down and chew your food for a change, I'll pack up the car and head down there. Is there a hotel nearby you can recommend in case I'm too tired to make the drive home? :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Is there a hotel nearby you can recommend in case I'm too tired to make the drive home? :laugh:

No kidding. the next time I'm out in Hell City, Hell, I'll definitely give it a try. Anyplace that serves shortribs gets my attention. Reminds me, we were doing an overnight thing at work last weekend and our boss ran over to get carryout from New Peking over in Westport. I hadn't had food from there in years, and as good as our car-trip carryout was, I definitely want to make it back there soon.

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

. . . New Peking over in Westport.  I hadn't had food from there in years, and as good as our car-trip carryout was, I definitely want to make it back there soon.

It amazes me how consistently good that place has been all these years. No matter who owns or operates it - they must have some poor guy shackled to the stove there so he can't ever leave.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher