• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crawfish (and cream sauce)

msacuisine

I have a nice batch of crawfish that I would like to use. I am cooking for someone who thinks she doesn't like them. I may just not tell her what it is and let her assume it is crab meat or something. Thinking probably of doing this with a cream sauce with pasta: while this is done often in New Orleans, I think it is less likely to give away the secret than say, crawfish ettouffee, but I am open to other suggestions as well.

Anyone got some good recipes or ideas.

I think you've got a pretty good idea there, but if a substantial variation would be interesting, there's Shrimp and Andouille Pasta. Just sub mudbugs for shrimps.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Your shrimp and sausage recipe is right along the lines of what I was thinking.

Great minds (and pallets) think alike. ;)

Edited by msacuisine (log)

Crawfish in a cream sauce is a natural. Hard to go wrong there. If you really want to disguise them, do fritters or cakes with them instead of crab and serve over the cream sauce or remoulade.

In addition to the cream sauce/pasta thing, you could try fried crawfish. A deep fried item can be a good way to introduce a new food to a potentially resistant palate. If your intended audience needs even more "disguise", make fried crawfish poboys and put a little remoulade or spicy mayo/ketchup/horseradish sauce on the bread.