• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tunisian sweets!

Hallo Folks,

A colleague hails from Tunisia and ,whilst discussing traditional sweets,he showed me a web page,which had various sweets from that region.

All of them had a few things in common,

1.They looked absolutely fabulous,and usually that indicates that that they taste great as well.

2.All of them were made with different kinds of nuts,and hardly any dairy/fruit based .

This is the web page,

http://www.masmoudi.com/data/home/data.asp...uage=e&dataid=1

Please have look.I am interested in hearing if some of you are familiar with these,especially

Bjawia/Bryouette/Mlabes/Dawama/Fekia/Thousand one nights/Bey varieties.

Waiting to hear anxiously.(My colleagues has promised me that he would get some of these ,when her sister visits him next month...slurp...slurp)

Though I agree that things in general do not necessarily taste as good as they look, I can confirm heartily that those small Tunisian pastries are utterly delicious: small and delicate, subtly flavored and relatively low in sugar as compared to their other Maghrebi counterparts.

Here in Paris we're very lucky to have a Masmoudi shop at the Porte Maillot shopping center, and I have sampled some of their pastries: they are all wonderful.