• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perry St., Tia Pol, Momo In One Day?!

mu1997

Hi all,

New to the NY boards, from Philly, so i read alot about the restaurants there. My wife and I are planning a day trip to NYC, and picked out a few places we want to go. We will be taking the train in, so we will be on foot/cab. Heres our itenerary:

Earliest Brunch we can get at Perry Street.

Light Tapas and cocktails at Tia Pol.

Dinner at Momofuku Noodle Bar.

As we will be on foot, getting from place to place is the question. My thought is to walk between the places, and shop a little here and there on the way. However, i am unfamiliar with the area, so im not sure if the walking thing is even an option. Opinions?

Thanks,

Mark

Why not just get a subway/bus pass? Walk where you want to, but you can cut transit time and get around a lot more of the city that way.

I take the bus EVERYWHERE in Philly, and that thought never even occurred to me! Great idea! May do that if the wife is not up for the walking. Me, if the route from place to place is ok neighborhood-wise, im game for walking, but well see. hopefully that area has some shopping en route from eatery to eatery. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nowhere is really more than an hour away from anywhere else, by any means, in Manhattan...

If it were me, I would rent a bike ** edit: , and a lock**, because you could pretty much stay on the greenway - the only parts where you'd have to get off would be from 12th to 10th avenue for Tia Pol and FDR to 1st Avenue for Momo. If it were me, that is.

Edited by raji (log)

Nowhere is really more than an hour away from anywhere else, by any means, in Manhattan...

If it were me, I would rent a bike, because you could pretty much stay on the greenway - the only parts where you'd have to get off would be from 12th to 10th avenue for Tia Pol and FDR to 1st Avenue for Momo. If it were me, that is.

What would you do with the bike while you were eating?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

From Penn Station to Perry St. is about a 2 mile walk. You can instead take the 1 train to the Christopher St. stop (at 7th Ave) and walk over to Perry St & the West Side hwy, or just take the bus down 7th Ave.

Tia Pol is about a 15-20 minute north of that, on 10th Ave and 22nd, and you can check out the West Village/Meatpacking while you walk. From there you can take buses (east on 23rd to 2nd ave, and then switch to one going down 2nd ave, and then walk over to 1st Ave) but with the switching, I might just walk down from 23rd or take a cab. None of these rides by taxi would cost you more then $10.

Hi all,

New to the NY boards, from Philly, so i read alot about the restaurants there.  My wife and I are planning a day trip to NYC, and picked out a few places we want to go.  We will be taking the train in, so we will be on foot/cab.  Heres our itenerary:

As we will be on foot, getting from place to place is the question. My thought is to walk between the places, and shop a little here and there on the way.  However, i am unfamiliar with the area, so im not sure if the walking thing is even an option.  Opinions?

Thanks,

Mark

this is very easily walkable; I do the equivalent pretty much every weekend day in town.

let's say you eat at Perry Street from 12-2. then you can gradually stroll up the WV (along the water if you'd like) up into Chelsea and Tia Pol. thing is, that's only a half hour walk (if moving with purpose)...or you can stroll through Chelsea Market etc and kill some time (I doubt Tia Pol is open before 5?). But then Tia Pol is in walking distance of Penn Station...so maybe save it for post-dinner snacks?

so instead I'd walk from Perry Street through the WV, SoHo and NoLIta (I do this walk several times a weekend)....do some shopping, etc...and then enter the EV and eat at Momofuku Noodle whenever I felt like it. then take a $10 cab ride back up to Tia Pol for snacks/wine.

that is easily the most efficient and scenic route.

so instead I'd walk from Perry Street through the WV, SoHo and NoLIta (I do this walk several times a weekend)....do some shopping, etc...and then enter the EV and eat at Momofuku Noodle whenever I felt like it.  then take a $10 cab ride back up to Tia Pol for snacks/wine.

That's a good call, both timing and shopping wise.

so instead I'd walk from Perry Street through the WV, SoHo and NoLIta (I do this walk several times a weekend)....do some shopping, etc...and then enter the EV and eat at Momofuku Noodle whenever I felt like it.  then take a $10 cab ride back up to Tia Pol for snacks/wine.

That's a good call, both timing and shopping wise.

I totally agree! thanks for the advice!

Mark

Good walking shoes are a must and pray that it's not like 100 degrees the day you two come in...and if you go Nathan's route, you can probably fit a cocktail in either at PDT or D&C, to work up an appetite prior to Momo.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Good walking shoes are a must and pray that it's not like 100 degrees the day you two come in...and if you go Nathan's route, you can probably fit a cocktail in either at PDT or D&C, to work up an appetite prior to Momo.

Yeah, the weather can be tough, just not sure when we are planning this, finances and all...

I really liked that route, put it in mapquest for the route to all of the places, and it seemed so much more logical.

Could you please tell me what PDT and D&C are, tourist and all... but always up for a good cocktail to get the appetite going!!!

Thanks,

Mark

If it were me, I would rent a bike, because you could pretty much stay on the greenway - the only parts where you'd have to get off would be from 12th to 10th avenue for Tia Pol and FDR to 1st Avenue for Momo. If it were me, that is.

What would you do with the bike while you were eating?

Bike rental shops will lend you a lock too.... naturally... in this city....

PDT

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/pdt/

113 St. Marks Pl, New York, NY - (212) 614-0386

Reservations highly recommended, reservations only taken day of, call precisely at 3pm, bar is first come, first served. No standing. Extremely popular. [edit] SUNDAY-Thurs 6 pm-2 am, Fri-Sat 6 pm-4 am.

Death & Co

http://www.deathandcompany.com/

433 E. 6th St, New York, NY - (212) 388-0882

No reservations taken, doorman will take your number if they are full, no standing allowed either. Very popular. Open 6pm to midnight. Last call around 11:20ish.

Hopstop.com will tell you door to door subway instructions if you require. They have a WAP site, SMS instructions, and instructions via Interactive voice response too if you are away from your computer.

Google SMS will also tell you addresses of places. Text 466453 (GOOGLE) with name of bar/restaurant.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

PDT

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/pdt/

113 St. Marks Pl, New York, NY - (212) 614-0386

Reservations highly recommended, reservations only taken day of, call precisely at 3pm, bar is first come, first served. No standing. Extremely popular. Mon-Thurs 6 pm-2 am, Fri-Sat 6 pm-4 am.

PDT is also open on Sunday nights. At least it was last night when I was there.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hi all,

New to the NY boards, from Philly, so i read alot about the restaurants there.  My wife and I are planning a day trip to NYC, and picked out a few places we want to go.  We will be taking the train in, so we will be on foot/cab.  Heres our itenerary:

As we will be on foot, getting from place to place is the question. My thought is to walk between the places, and shop a little here and there on the way.  However, i am unfamiliar with the area, so im not sure if the walking thing is even an option.  Opinions?

Thanks,

Mark

I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the possibility of doing Momofuku Ssam Bar rather than the Noodle Bar. Both are excellent, to be sure, but if you only have one day, I think most would say that Momo Ssam is the more memorable/influential/cutting edge of the two. And it's in the same 'hood, so it won't affect your travel.

I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the possibility of doing Momofuku Ssam Bar rather than the Noodle Bar. Both are excellent, to be sure, but if you only have one day, I think most would say that Momo Ssam is the more memorable/influential/cutting edge of the two.  And it's in the same 'hood, so it won't affect your travel.

And this would probably be best discussed over here.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?