• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scotch Whisky: The Topic

It's been a while since I've had either Dalwhinnie or Cragganmore (so you can take my advice with a grain of salt), but I seem to recall preferring the Cragganmore overall. Dalwhinnie is lighter, though, so it might come across as "more different" from the Laphroaig. Though really, any of the ones you named is going to be quite different from Laphroaig. There's absolutely nothing wrong with either Glenfiddich expression, but I would suggest you avoid them both because they're going to be easily found in any restaurant or bar that might offer a handful of single malts, so you should have lots of opportunity to taste them elsewhere.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Yesterday I visited Glen Garioch (which was a really good trip - selection of pics below);

Mash tun at Glen Garioch - http://yfrog.com/h4eczhgj

The South African Yeast used by Glen Garioch - http://yfrog.com/h78csnij

Wash Back Room - http://yfrog.com/h4qcnxknj

Where the magic happens - http://yfrog.com/hs9i0zyj

Wash still with Spirit stills 1 & 2 in the background - http://yfrog.com/h483xbvj

Spirit stills 1 & 2 - http://yfrog.com/gz4l6clj

Glen Garioch Distillery, Distillery Road, Oldmeldrum - http://yfrog.com/h8pp0izj

and Strathisla (which was closed, the lazy so and so's). Picked myself up a bottle of Glen Garioch 1991 whish is quite sensational. I'd write more about it but at the moment I'm too busy drinking it so you'll have to wait I'm afraid...

Got a number of trips planned over the next couple of months, Aberlour and Glendronach to name two.

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Thanks for the suggestions. Macallan and Glenrothes are not local options but they are LCBO options if nothing local fits the bill. Highland Park 12 is a local option as well but I'm not sure if that's considered a Speyside or not. Still new to this stuff (just to state the obvious).

Matt, I was leaning towards the Cragganmore before I decided to ask here so it sounds like a fine suggestion to me.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I recently stayed very close to Pulteney but sadly didn't make it to the distillery although intend heading that way again in the summer as it's very far north and can get bloody cold, I know the two whiskies very well though

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Thanks for the suggestions. Macallan and Glenrothes are not local options but they are LCBO options if nothing local fits the bill. Highland Park 12 is a local option as well but I'm not sure if that's considered a Speyside or not. Still new to this stuff (just to state the obvious).

Matt, I was leaning towards the Cragganmore before I decided to ask here so it sounds like a fine suggestion to me.

Highland Park is not a Speyside, being from Orkney. But by God, buy a bottle if you're not firmly committed to having a Speyside (or if you have the budget for both). I recognize that my tastes in Single Malt are fairly pedestrian, but Highland Park is one of my top 3 bottles.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Highland Park is not a Speyside, being from Orkney. But by God, buy a bottle if you're not firmly committed to having a Speyside (or if you have the budget for both). I recognize that my tastes in Single Malt are fairly pedestrian, but Highland Park is one of my top 3 bottles.

Second, Highland Park is a purchase you won't regret. A friend's restaurant I used to drink at frequently before I moved had some sort of Lone Star Cask barrel proof Highland Park. One of my all-time favorites, no idea how he came by the stuff.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 1 month later...

So I have to confess that maybe I should have spent some time learning to swim before diving into the deep end of the pool. I'm having a tough time learning to appreciate the bottle of Laphroaig I picked up a few weeks ago. I've used it in a couple of drinks that call for a splash or rinse of Islay and I've been happy with it for that purpose but as far as pouring some in a glass and sitting down to enjoy it for what it is, it's been a difficult battle. I seem to be having a hard time getting my brain to register anything accept bandage. My initial reaction to it was that it was going to be a fun challenge and I know there's something more in there to discover but I'm having trouble digging it out. I'm starting to think I should move on to another region and work my way back around to this one.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You'll probably get a few different responses but I would agree that you should move on and come back. A couple of versions of Laphroaig are in my personal top 10 but if you haven't ahd a lot of whisky yet it would be pretty harsh! The Highland Park they are talking about above would be a really good starting point, especially if you can afford the 18 year. If you want to stay Islay side but a little calmer check out the Bowmore, even the 12 year is pretty good!

Clark

So I have to confess ...

If by 'in at the deep end' you mean starting out with Scotch, you might be happier spending some time with Speysides. No point exploring the medicinal- and iodine- flavours if they're just now your thing - some folks love sour apples, some love sweet. My own natural inclinations are toward the smoother & mellower.

How are you drinking it 'poured in the glass' ? Straight ? Room temp water 1:1 ? 3:1 ? 15:1 ?

1:15 ?

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

If by 'in at the deep end' you mean starting out with Scotch...

How are you drinking it 'poured in the glass' ? Straight ? Room temp water 1:1 ? 3:1 ? 15:1 ?

1:15 ?

By "in at the deep end" I mean that, when researching, I came across many references to Laphroaig being a somewhat in-your-face example even among other Islays. I have the type of personality that frequently gravitates towards the extreme so I started there thinking if I could tame this one, the rest should come easy. When I taste it, I can sense initially that there's a world of stuff going on but it's quickly washed away by the "bandage" thing. Once that takes over, it's hard to get back to what lies beneath for a while. So far I've tried it room temp straight and with a splash of water (no idea of ratio... maybe 8-10:1 scotch to water as a guess but I just drizzled a little in).

I find the Laphroaig 10 to be a bit hard to like, and I don't think its the valedictorian of the Islay school. The 15 year is more expensive, much much more refined and easy to like (although this is from memory as I haven't had it in some time).

An easy (and cheaper) introduction could be Bowmore Legend. It is still plainly Islay, but has much less iodine and smoke. Lagavulin is my favorite, but it expensive enough that I wouldn't recommend a bottle until you've tried it to make sure that you like it.

I have Laphroaig Quarter Cask on hand, but no other expressions. The bottle doesn't state an age. Does anyone have any info exactly what this stuff is?

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I agree with Clark: re-cork the bottle, try something different when the budget allows, and come back to it at a later date. And who knows? You may never really like it. Doesn't mean you won't find whiskies that you do enjoy. My father-in-law is an enthusiastic drinker of single malts, but doesn't have time for what he refers to as "ashtray Scotches." There's no rule that says you can't be a Scotch aficionado because you don't care for Laphroaig.

For me, I came to single malt from the other direction: I loved the brutal clobbering of the more intense Islays, but found a lot of others to be too milquetoast. After a while, though, I started to suspect that I was enjoying intensity at the expense of nuance - especially after I discovered Bourbon - and now I have a much more widely varied palate for whisky (and whiskey). Currently, sacrilege though it may be among a certain subset of connoisseurs, I'm starting to explore Canadian whiskies, which are more subtle still. :wink:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. It's not so much that I'm determined to love this particular bottle, it's that I don't want to decide I don't like it just because it's something more intense than I'm used to. I was loving the idea of heavy smoke, the problem I'm having is digging that from beneath what I assume is the iodine (the "bandage" thing). That iodine thing is what's going to take some work. I accept that I may never love it, I just want it to have a fair shot.

Matt, I haven't tried that one yet but I have it on my short list. I have a huge file of drinks I want to check out but I also have some of them on a short list that I want to get into soon. The drinks I've used it in so far are the Penicillin and the Curse of Scotland.

8 or 10:1 scotch-to-water isn't going to dilute the intensity much at all. Did you think about somewhere more like the other way round, say 5:1 water:whisky, as an experiment ? You might find you're able to approach it - or reach an armistice - if you start by keeping at at a longer arm's length.

Back in November David Croll of whisk-e ran a whisky bar for us at the Tokyo St Andrew Society's St Andrew Ball, with a grand selection of single cask and vintage malts. There was a bar provided by the ANA Intercontionental on the other side of the room serving wine, beer & soft drinks and I'm an inveterate Luddite, so I made a number of round trips between the two, and my notes from the evening record in sequence my top 3 single-cask choices:

1 Glen Scotia

2 Craigellachie

3 Caol Isla

- for mixing with coke, ice & a slice. Worth it just for the facial expressions and conversation :cool: - David & his Japanese barman played along in very good spirit.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I'm an Islay fan, myself. My go-to has to be Lagavulin (when it's on sale), followed by Laphroaig, Talisker, and Oban but I also favor Highland and Speyside malts as well. I rotate and explore a lot so I don't have any one daily dram, for the most part.

Hey Matthew, just wondering if you have tried any of the Glen Breton varities? I have a friend bringing me a bottle of the 15 year in a couple weeks.....

A couple of times, but it's been a few years, and I wasn't following whisky very closely at the time, so I'm not sure which expression it was. I remember the first time thinking it had a rather oily mouthfeel. In general, I've always thought it was a bit pricey, but I guess when you're unique, you get to charge a premium.

Of course, the Scotch Whisky Association would probably not be happy with us for having this conversation in this thread. :wink:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I was a bit hesitant to try Laphroaig at first, only because of what I'd read about it. My first taste of any single malt was Lagavulin, so I was spoiled from the get-go. I instantly fell in love with it and went from there. I was intrigued by the idea of Laphroaig but kept reading warnings like "not for the faint-of-heart," "love it or hate it," etc, so I wasn't sure if I would like it. What I did was try Ardbeg first, which was a good choice and enabled me to muster the courage to try Laphroaig. By then it wasn't much of a shock and my reaction was "And to think I hesitated." I'm just thankful that no one gave me Glenlivet 12 as my first single malt, because I would been nonplussed, wondering what all the fuss was about, and might never have bothered to try any others.

For smokey, peaty malts that are not as medicinal as Laphroaig, I'd suggest Caol Ila, Ardbeg, Talisker, and Lagavulin.

I once marinated a steak in Laphroaig . . .wow.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I rarely drink liquor, but after a nice dinner last week I ordered a Japanese "Scotch" named Yamazaki. I was curious and pleasantly surprised, it had a nice scotch flavor, but also some flowery/fruity overtones that were unexpected but worked perfectly with dessert.

wikipedia entry

They served the 12 year old that cost about $35, there's also an 18 year old that appears to sell for about $45. I'm gonna get me a bottle some day, a fun thing to have.

Might make a true Scotch lovers toenails curl, as it's not from Scotland, but I think it's worth trying. Figured it's worth mentioning here.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 4 weeks later...