• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calgary Food Inspection Crackdown

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/04/30/5434301.html

Friends don't let friends eat refrigerated BBQ.

Does anyone remember the time Vancouver's health authorities tried to do this? (I have vague memories.) Could you imagine what Vancouver's gastronomic landscape would be like if they were successful?

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

• 2 weeks later...
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/04/30/5434301.html

Friends don't let friends eat refrigerated BBQ.

Does anyone remember the time Vancouver's health authorities tried to do this? (I have vague memories.) Could you imagine what Vancouver's gastronomic landscape would be like if they were successful?

First post!

I doubt this crackdown is unique to Calgary, but what's really criminal about the prepared food at T&T (the two in Calgary and the one I've been to in Vancouver, the downtown one) is that when you ask for "soy sauce" you get that horrible brown abortion in a plastic sachet- it's beyond disgusting.

I can pretty much guarantee that the BBQ at Gee Gong and the like is not refrigerated... that's on Centre St in Chinatown proper.

That's "de gustibus non dispatandum est," btw. Hugz.

Here's a good quote from the prosecuter in the case:

“It doesn’t matter what they do in Victoria, Australia, it doesn’t matter what they do in Taiwan,” he said.

“If you don’t like (Alberta laws) get out of the business.”

Niiiiice

“It doesn’t matter what they do in Victoria, Australia, it doesn’t matter what they do in Taiwan,” he said.

Niiiiice

Culturally diverse, that's us (until you hit the bureaucracy).

Niiiiice

Just to be clear - I don't think its anything specifically targeting Asian cuisine - the bureaucracy also keeps unpasterized cheeses, med-rare hamburgers, and certain chaucruterie out of the consumer's hands. All for our own good of course - regardless of hundereds of years of food culture in Asia and Europe.

Still - terrible choice of words from the prosecuter.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I'm glad this thread bumped back up.

Health inspectors tried to do the same in Vancouver until a local lawyer and aficionado sue the city and won - http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/l...5a-4d0ffe3c47d8

First post!

I doubt this crackdown is unique to Calgary, but what's really criminal about the prepared food at T&T (the two in Calgary and the one I've been to in Vancouver, the downtown one) is that when you ask for "soy sauce" you get that horrible brown abortion in a plastic sachet- it's beyond disgusting.

Hey John!...nice to see you around these parts.

I never use plastic-packet "soy sauce." It's all hydrolyzed protein cocktail.

I can pretty much guarantee that the BBQ at Gee Gong and the like is not refrigerated... that's on Centre St in Chinatown proper.

So is there any particular reason why they are targeting T&T? Is there bad blood? Will authorities try to expand the ruling into Chinatown?

I haven't heard updates to the story since it broke.

That's "de gustibus non dispatandum est," btw. Hugz.

Now my vague recollection of Latin 101 and its syntax in terms of word order tells me:

"De gustibus non est disputandum" == "De gustibus non disputandum est"

Any native Latin speakers out there? ;)

fmed

Niiiiice

Just to be clear - I don't think its anything specifically targeting Asian cuisine - the bureaucracy also keeps unpasterized cheeses, med-rare hamburgers, and certain chaucruterie out of the consumer's hands. All for our own good of course - regardless of hundereds of years of food culture in Asia and Europe.

Still - terrible choice of words from the prosecuter.

Terrible words indeed...makes him sound like a total hick.

fmed