• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good sauce for steak

Doodad

I need some new ideas please. I am cracking the last cryovac of hanger steak I scored for dinner tonight. :sad:

I want to make a memorable sauce. It is pouring rain all day so they will be pan fried. I usually do a wine reduction sauce, but need a new idea.

I have home made stock, demi shallots, roasted garlic and shallots, wine, various vinegars and some vidalia onion sprouts. What do you think?

This is far from a refined sauce, but it has a visceral appeal that's pretty unbeatable.

Get yourself some anchovies and roast maybe half a head of garlic until brown and smushy. Using a mortar and pestle of foos processor, grind the garlic and the anchovy into a paste. In the mean time, boil down a good bit of demi glace and a big slug of red wine. Add about 2/3 of the garlic anchovy paste, taste and adjust as needed -- adding more demi-glace, or paste or whatever seems good. Drizzle in a little red wine vinegar and finish with butter. Make more than you need...this stuff is also great when it comes in contact with fried potatoes of any sort.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

This is far from a refined sauce, but it has a visceral appeal that's pretty unbeatable.

Get yourself some anchovies and roast maybe half a head of garlic until brown and smushy.  Using a mortar and pestle of foos processor, grind the garlic and the anchovy into a paste.  In the mean time, boil down a good bit of demi glace and a big slug of red wine.  Add about 2/3 of the garlic anchovy paste, taste and adjust as needed -- adding more demi-glace, or paste or whatever seems good.  Drizzle in a little red wine vinegar and finish with butter.  Make more than you need...this stuff is also great when it comes in contact with fried potatoes of any sort.

Cool, thanks for that. I am roasting plantains for one of the sides. Not sure what else yet.

Since you're going with the plantain thing, when I get home from work I'll try to dig up the tamarind "bbq sauce" recipe we use when we're getting our Latin fusion thing going. We live in a heavily Salvadoran neighborhood, so tamarind bars (or whatever they're called) are readily available and we prefer red beans, but any legume will sit well with the steak and plantains. A little crema centroamericana on the side works well, too.

Edited to add: This is based on a Gray Kunz recipe, if you have access to The Elements of Taste

We use about half a package of tamarind paste (about a cup), two or three whole canned tomatoes a handful of rough-cut ginger, honey to taste and roasted, ground coriander and cumin (you can just use regular old C&C, but if you can roast and grinf it, it's worth the effort). You can also add in a touch of hot pepper flakes and a handful of chopped fresh cilanto.

Basically, you throw everything in a pot, with enough warm water to loosen up the tamarind paste and simmer it until it reduces to a glaze, checking the flavors every now and then straining the whole mess and doing a final flavor adjustment. I assume that Kunz got into it because of Tamarind's Asian overtones, but I always think of it as Latin.

I'm on the pavement

Get yourself some anchovies and roast maybe half a head of garlic until brown and smushy.  Using a mortar and pestle of foos processor, grind the garlic and the anchovy into a paste.  In the mean time, boil down a good bit of demi glace and a big slug of red wine.  Add about 2/3 of the garlic anchovy paste, taste and adjust as needed -- adding more demi-glace, or paste or whatever seems good.  Drizzle in a little red wine vinegar and finish with butter.  Make more than you need...this stuff is also great when it comes in contact with fried potatoes of any sort.

How many anchovies? Sounds good.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Since you're going with the plantain thing, when I get home from work I'll try to dig up the tamarind "bbq sauce" recipe we use when we're getting our Latin fusion thing going.  We live in a heavily Salvadoran neighborhood, so tamarind bars (or whatever they're called) are readily available and we prefer red beans, but any legume will sit well with the steak and plantains.  A little crema centroamericana on the side works well, too.

Edited to add: This is based on a Gray Kunz recipe, if you have access to The Elements of Taste

We use about half a package of tamarind paste (about a cup), two or three whole canned tomatoes  a handful of rough-cut ginger, honey to taste and roasted, ground coriander and cumin (you can just use regular old C&C, but if you can roast and grinf it, it's worth the effort).  You can also add in a touch of hot pepper flakes and a handful of chopped fresh cilanto. 

Basically, you throw everything in a pot, with enough warm water to loosen up the tamarind paste and simmer it until it reduces to a glaze, checking the flavors every now and then straining the whole mess and doing a final flavor adjustment.  I assume that Kunz got into it because of Tamarind's Asian overtones, but I always think of it as Latin.

How did you know I was the kind of guy who had tamarind paste?

Skirt steak with plantains just won a competition on the Food Network....

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I usually pour off most of the fat, deglaze with a splash of vermouth and then add a splash of cognac and flame it. The floral addition from the vermouth and the implicit sweetness from the cognac is particularly good with skirt or hanger steak.

How many anchovies? Sounds good.

Personal taste, but I usually put in a lot -- 6 0r 8, anyway. If you get a tube of anchovy paste you can adjust it pretty precisely.

I'm on the pavement