• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Pasta in the mixer

Doodad

I can do this right?  Or is there a reason I should not?  Any precautions or particular method to getting a smooth dough?  Talking about a stand mixer BTW.

Personally I prefer the food processor, since it handles small quantities better. My stand mixer is just too big to make pasta dough efficiently. Plus, a food processor only takes about 30 seconds :smile:.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I can do this right?  Or is there a reason I should not?  Any precautions or particular method to getting a smooth dough?  Talking about a stand mixer BTW.

Personally I prefer the food processor, since it handles small quantities better. My stand mixer is just too big to make pasta dough efficiently. Plus, a food processor only takes about 30 seconds :smile:.

Really? I would have thought the speed and blade would overheat the eggs in the dough. What blade or attachment do you use in the processor?

Really?  I would have thought the speed and blade would overheat the eggs in the dough.  What blade or attachment do you use in the processor?

Just the regular metal blade. I put all the ingredients in, flour first, then pulse it until it starts to come together. Then I run it full speed for about 10 seconds, until the dough looks right. I'm trying to think of a way to describe it at that point... it is not a single cohesive mass: if it is, your dough is too wet. It is more cohesive than wet sand (too dry), but it is in sorta small particles that are sticking to each other. So it doesn't process long enough to heat anything appreciably. I pull it out, give it a quick knead to form a ball, then let it rest for 15-20 minutes to hydrate the flour. Roll, cut, eat :smile: . I'm not claiming this is the definitive technique, but it takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, and I think the resulting pasta is damn fine :smile: .

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I usually just use all purpose: I found that semolina makes the dough more difficult to roll out properly, though I went for a 50/50 blend when I tried it. 10% would probably be more reasonable. Try it and let me know how it turns out: I'd love to know if it makes a flavor or texture difference in the finished, sauced final product.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Chris~

do you use a pasta machine to roll or what?

I love fresh pasta but pulling the roller thing out seems like a pain. I'l love to hear an altrnative (not to guide your answer, or anything ! :laugh: )

Kathy , Pitt alumna :cool:

Chris~

I love fresh pasta but pulling the roller thing out seems like a pain. I'l love to hear an altrnative (not to guide your answer, or anything !  :laugh: )

Kathy , Pitt alumna  :cool:

I know I gave up on hand rolling. I use a machine. I never could get a rolling pin to get a proper thickness especially if any semolina was involved. I am making ravioli so I need very precise thickness.

I am using the last of the mexican pot roast I made last week to stuff the ravioli. I will be in a mole and demi sauce with avocado and creme fraiche topping.

I will try to take some pics.

Chris~

I love fresh pasta but pulling the roller thing out seems like a pain. I'l love to hear an altrnative (not to guide your answer, or anything !  :laugh: )

Kathy , Pitt alumna  :cool:

Yeah, I use a hand-cranked pasta machine my Italian grandmother gave me when she switched to buying the DiGiorno stuff! :shock::biggrin: I would love to get the attachment for my stand mixer, but justifying the $100 is tough when I have the regular machine. I make fresh pasta a lot, so I'm pretty good at going quickly: the 20 minutes time I quoted above includes the resting time and the rolling time. In the lunch thread I've got a post where I tried to make fresh pasta in the time it took to boil the water: I missed by something like three minutes. I was a freak of nature by the end, covered in flour from the rolling, so not something I can do on a regular basis, though :biggrin: . Sorry I don't have any great tips for you... (I promise it's not just because you're from Pitt and I'm at Penn State :wink: )

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I am using the last of the mexican pot roast I made last week to stuff the ravioli.  I will be in a mole and demi sauce with avocado and creme fraiche topping.

That sounds fantastic! Sort of a Mexican-themed ravioli. I love mexican food. Do you cut the ravioli by hand? I only make ravioli rarely because it is so much work. I've never tried the stuffing attachment to my roller because my grandmother said they don't work very well.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Hmm. I don't have anything planned for dinner tonight so maybe I'll make ravioli! (k~wondering what kind of interesting leftovers are in the fridge....)

I'll need to figure out where I put my pasta machine. Chris, I'm encouraged about the food processor, tho. I've been running the dough thru the rollers, over and over again. :wacko:

ETA: I have one of those little ravioli things that you drape the dough over and fill, top and then roll a rolling pin over to cut. We'll see if it works. I'll take pics. I've carried the darned thing around with me for 20 years and never used it!

Edited by dockhl (log)

I am using the last of the mexican pot roast I made last week to stuff the ravioli.  I will be in a mole and demi sauce with avocado and creme fraiche topping.

That sounds fantastic! Sort of a Mexican-themed ravioli. I love mexican food. Do you cut the ravioli by hand? I only make ravioli rarely because it is so much work. I've never tried the stuffing attachment to my roller because my grandmother said they don't work very well.

I am going to use a chinese dumpling press for the ravioli. I have one of those circular ravioli cutters, but it is so small it is almost worthless.

Edit to add a biscuit cutter works very well for this application. I just like the half moon look and crimping that I get from the dumpling device.

Edited by Doodad (log)

I'll need to figure out where I put my pasta machine. Chris, I'm encouraged about the food processor, tho. I've been running the dough thru the rollers, over and over again.  :wacko:

I still do that, maybe a half dozen times, just to get the texture I like. The key seems to be to process in the food processor just long enough to get the gluten going, but not so long that you then need to let it relax for a long time before rolling. I suspect that one could improve on the texture with more passes through the rollers, but I find that it is a diminishing-returns thing.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

We make pasta all the time in the KA mixer. just simolina, eggs and water to replace some an egg. We run it with the paddle until it comes together, then a quick knead then allowed to rest. We like the rustic feel of the 100% simolina. We use a 30 year old 250 Watt KA and never had a problem. We found that sometimes the bowl would bind up in the base because the dough is so dry. So when we remember we smear a drop of veg. oil on the base of the bowl and that way it does not bind up.

We then roll out in an old hand cranked pasta machine. To make ravioli we have used a round cookie cutter, fold in half and seal, or for round ravioli just one disk on top of another sealed.

For hand rolling pasta I have seen rolling pins with rubber bands for the ends of various sizes for rolling out dough. Never tried it though.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.