• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Decent Integrated Cooker Hood

ermintrude

Ok I'm now on my 2nd AEG integrated pull out out cooker hood (see model EFi60012), not expensive at around £80 but useless as far as I'm concerned.

The reason, you can't flame under it. Even doing a creme brulle managed to destroy the last one.

Yes I know the manual says your not supposed to flambee under a cooker hood as if grease has built up in the filters it's a major fire hazard. But I always keep mine clean or could even remove them. The trouble with the AEG is the fan housing is plastic and just the heat from doing creme brule (and the last time burning of the alcohol from 1/2 bottle of wine) caused the plastic to sag and so it now won't work.

Where can I find an integrated cooker hood (does not have to pull out but must be ventilating and fit where the pull out one is) that is decently built - I.e metal rather than cheep plastic - I don't mind paying as the choice of a pull out cooker hood was for design but know it's fitted it would be difficult to change. The manufacturers web sites/manuals are useless - they can't say you can flambee (in case some idiot used greasy filters and they catch fire) but do not specify construction (i.e metal not plastic - that melts at anything more than frying food)

If you know a good make can you let me know or if you've any alternate ideas let me know.

Thanks

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.