• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch near the Airport

Jeff L

I am meeting some folks from out of town next Thursday for a business lunch. They have about 3 hours before their return flight so I'm thinking South Philly but where?

These are somewhat button-down corporate guys but I want to select something where the food is great and the atmosphere somewhat businesslike. Any ideas? Anyone been to Criniti's on Broad lately or Scannicchio's?

i was at criniti's a couple months ago. still good, still old school, but now it's in an old church--by old i don't mean ancient, i just mean 'former.' the big ol stained glass window makes for an interesting setting, and their gravy is still my favorite in town.

i don't know if they're open for lunch though.

i was at criniti's a couple months ago.  still good, still old school, but now it's in an old church--by old i don't mean ancient, i just mean 'former.'  the big ol stained glass window makes for an interesting setting, and their gravy is still my favorite in town.

i don't know if they're open for lunch though.

Criniti's is open for lunch.

This really was an enjoyable lunch. The place looks really nice inside and out, perfect for a business lunch notwithstanding the minor issue of crowd noise.

Food was quite good in the family style traditional way as James points out. I had the eggplant parm which was quite nice. Very thin eggplant slices and not too much breading, bathed in a great tomato sauce. Came with a cup of great pasta fagiole and the house baked bread stands up to Sarcones. The other guys had pastas and there wasn't much left on anyone's plate is alls I'm sayin. Throw in the 3 local gals next to us and it made for a very interesting lunch!

The guys were up from Houston and it was a perfect place to show what Philly is all about. Prices can't be beat either, lunch for 4 with tax/tip was about $80. That includes 2 glasses of the house red wine each and coffee. Lastly, expert and friendly service to boot.

On a side note, I almost got to be on the Parking Wars realty show. Aggresive ticketing going on on Broad Street these days!

The answer to all this depends on how "formal" you need your lunch to be. Certainly Paradiso or Criniti's or Scannicchio's would do for a regular sit down type luncheon. However, that's not to say that many a business deal hasn't been sealed over a roast pork sammie at Jonh's Roast Pork or Tony Luke's. Depends on what you're after. If you want to make a solid impression that's totally local and totally unrepeatable elsewhere, then one of the sandwich joints will suffice. Otherwise, if the sitdown is required, one of the aforementioned places would do.

To me, the happy medium between both worlds would be to take your guests to Shank's & Evelyn's on 10th Street. A little bit South Philly not-to-be-reproduced-elsewhere, and also sit down, if not formal. The place is a real slice of life. And they couldn't be nicer. If you can stand the ladies yelling at each other. But there's no where else like it. And the food is amazing. I defy anyone to find a better chicken cutlet sandwich on this planet. Go ahead. I really mean it. Just try. I'm betting with the house's money now... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The answer to all this depends on how "formal" you need your lunch to be.  Certainly Paradiso or Criniti's or Scannicchio's would do for a regular sit down type luncheon.  However, that's not to say that many a business deal hasn't been sealed over a roast pork sammie at Jonh's Roast Pork or Tony Luke's.  Depends on what you're after.  If you want to make a solid impression that's totally local and totally unrepeatable elsewhere, then one of the sandwich joints will suffice.  Otherwise, if the sitdown is required, one of the aforementioned places would do.

To me, the happy medium between both worlds would be to take your guests to Shank's & Evelyn's on 10th Street.  A little bit South Philly not-to-be-reproduced-elsewhere, and also sit down, if not formal.  The place is a real slice of life.  And they couldn't be nicer.  If you can stand the ladies yelling at each other.  But there's no where else like it.  And the food is amazing.  I defy anyone to find a better chicken cutlet sandwich on this planet.  Go ahead.  I really mean it.  Just try.  I'm betting with the house's money now... :biggrin:

Katie, funny you should mention Tony Luke's. I stopped there after lunch and got them roast pork italiano's to go for the plane trip back. Nothing in Texas (or anywhere else in my opinion) comes close to these gems.

In this case Criniti's worked out perfectly because we needed to sit down and firm up elements for a big contract. Much as I love Johns, the outdoor picnic tables wouldn't have cut it.

I'm right there with you about Shank and Evelyn's though.